Super Contributor

An oldie but a goodie. If you've forgotten about this one, you may want to revive it. I had forgotten how absolutely delicious and rich this is. Neither a pie, nor a cake, a brownie nor a pudding, this is a blend of all of them yielding a very rich result that can be cut in slices. The nuts are important to the texture which benefits from their crunch. It is good hot or cold. Really good butter and chocolate make this a classic 'best' dessert, imo. Oh, and did I say it's super easy to make?

Hot Fudge Pie

1/2 c, 1 stick, butter
2-oz fine quality semi sweet chocolate
2 eggs, beaten
1 c sugar
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/8 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

Melt butter and chocolate together in small saucepan over low heat, or carefully
in microwave, zapping at 30-second intervals. Remember the chocolate may hold
its shape even when softened, so give it a stir before microwaving it again.

Combine remaining ingredients and blend with chocolate mixture.

Spray 8- or 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pie pan and bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 6-8 servings.

My notes: high quality chocolate necessary! This is neither a pie, nor a cake, a brownie,
nor a pudding, but a very rich combo of all. Small slices suffice. August, 2014

Honored Contributor

Hey Beebee 2 I saw this post right after you posted and immediately printed it out. I have picked up next to my purse several times today and read it. Taking it home from the office in about 20 minutes and hopefully will try this week-end. I had to read over a couple of times to convince myself there were no instructions for crust. All I am looking for is anything to go with my ice cream and this will do nicely!! Thanks for the recipe.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Hi BeeBee........where do you purchase your chocolate from? I have noticed that the grocery stores around here do not carry what I would call a good brand of chocolate. This recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/7/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Hi BeeBee........where do you purchase your chocolate from? I have noticed that the grocery stores around here do not carry what I would call a good brand of chocolate. This recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for posting.

I'm not the OP, but I like to use Ghiardelli, but I've also used Nestles. This recipe only calls for 2oz of chocolate, so you could even use a Dove candy bar,(get the dark, for semi-sweet) or chocolate chips.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
I make this same pie, but use 1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa powder; I also bake this in a pie shell @ 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Frequent Contributor

Wow! all I can say is thank you for this recipe. It is truely fantastic! I made this is Bakers semi sweet chocolate and it came out perfect. I will have to try it with a pie shell as mentioned by RedTop next time.

Super Contributor

Hello, all. Thanks for your responses. I hope all questions have been answered. I think any traditionally available baking chocolate will work; it's like everything else, the better the quality, the better the end result. And I wasn't aware of this being baked in a pie shell, but it makes sense that it could be. I'm not a huge piecrust fan, so this appealed to me au naturel. I can see how the crust might give a nice 'other' texture for the dessert. Please enjoy, and report back here with your results if you can.

Frequent Contributor

Beebee2..Yes I did forget about this one....I do make it with a pie crust...made it just yesterday and forgot how great it is...thanks for the reminder....Tess

Frequent Contributor
I made this last night in a chocolate pie crust. I took a little slice out of it this morning and it is a little gooey inside. It looks like it didn't cook enough. Is it supposed to be that way? Thanks.
Super Contributor

Wow! This sounds to die for.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion