Super Contributor

Horseradish Sauce - for lots of things - even ham

When I was looking for something to accompany a spiral-sliced ham I was taking to a party, I wanted something different and not on the sweet side. This recipe showed up as a sauce for ham as well as beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc. I made it, took it to the party, and it was very well received. I like it so much and believe you will, too, if you like the ingredients.

You'll note that the recipe says that stone ground mustard is the secret ingredient. I bought the smallest bottle, 4 oz, of Inglehofer's Stone Ground Mustard - on the shelf at the grocer's. I doubled the recipe and used the entire bottle. I also used (2) 4-oz bottles of Morehouse horseradish and 2 c of Knudsen's sour cream. I see no reason why light sour cream (but not non-fat) would not be a good choice, too.

Horseradish Sauce

1 c sour cream
1/2 c prepared horseradish
1/4 c stone ground mustard, the secret ingredient

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate in covered container.

"If you love this secret restaurant sauce as much as many of my restaurant guests and my husband, consider some of these ideas for additional uses:

Add a small amount into a skillet of scrambled eggs.
Add a touch to your tomato juice for an early morning eye opener.
Try some with breakfast sausage.
Mix some into your cocktail sauce.
Create a horseradish butter.
Try adding a small amount to hollandaise sauce and serve with salmon or halibut.

There are literally dozens and dozens more ways of using this delicious sauce recipe."