Esteemed Contributor

Re: Honey Filled Biscuits - have you ever?

[ Edited ]

I have this one . . .1950

Related image

Received it as a 'prize' for being the "Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow' in 1955.  It has been well used.

When you said, "Honey biscuit" I thought of the Southern way!  Let a biscuit, right out of the oven, cool enough you don't get burned.  Poke your finger in the soft side, making a hole, and pour it full of fresh honey!  It soaks in all the biscuit!  Yum!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

They sound like they'd be messy with honey running all over the place.

I would just brush on a thin coating of honey - just enough to stick the biscuits together.

My friend just brought me two jars of honey from Oregon. It's delicious and I was looking for a way to use it.

I first thought you were talking about a buttermilk or sour cream southern style biscuit where you would poke a hole in the middle with your finger and fill it with honey.

The biscuits you are talking about are more like English biscuits (cookies) that are crisp.

Honored Contributor

I like how cookie is spelled on the book cover.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex   I remember seeing it spelled that way in my first grade reader--1959--when Mother was making cooky cars for "Richard" and Jane!

Sorry--had to edit little boy's nickname to the formal "Richard" since when I posted it the QVC program asterisked his real name out.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435@lOL.....we could say Di ck in elementary school who knew it’s too rude for Q boards.I wonder how the spelling change came about for cookie.

Honored Contributor

@house_catYou just can't beat Betty Crocker!  I have used those books until they fell apart!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex  From a non exhaustivee google search:  In the 1950's and earlier cooky was often listed as preferred with cookie being the alternative spelling.  In 1967 the preferred spelling shifted to cookie.

Probably easier to spell the plural as cookies if the singular shifted to cookie as the standard preferred norm instead of cooky.

Similar to one potato . . . two potatoes confusion that Americans frequently have with spelling.  

But I like the English language because it lends itself to changing.  Helpful when writing poetry, for instance. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

My friends and I are getting together for our annual cookie bake, this coming Saturday.  We all bring one recipe and the ingredients and we bake together.  We've been through all the standard traditional cookies, so I thought this might be a nice addition, but I'm not certain yet which I'll choose.

@Sooner

It is my understanding, from watchig many seasons of The Great British Baking Show, that "biscuits" and cookies are the same thing. I'm sorry if I misled you and got you all excited for nothing, lol.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I'm glad I posted it. I hope they are as he remembered. I was planning to brush a thin coating of the honey, but the jam sounds good, too!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I have this one . . .1950

Related image

Received it as a 'prize' for being the "Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow' in 1955.  It has been well used.

When you said, "Honey biscuit" I thought of the Southern way!  Let a biscuit, right out of the oven, cool enough you don't get burned.  Poke your finger in the soft side, making a hole, and pour it full of fresh honey!  It soaks in all the biscuit!  Yum!

@Zhills

I have this one, as well :-)

~ house cat ~