Valued Contributor

@PA Mom-mom That is exactly the one I have.  I am also from Pa. and my mother was Pa. Dutch.

Valued Contributor

@PA Mom-mom I have that same strainer. I love it. I've probably had it about 40 years or so too.

When I make applesauce I just quarter them and cook them a little water then put it through the strainer to get  the seeds and peels separated. A great little gadget.

The strainer is great for raspberry jam too. I don't like seeds in my jam and it removes  them so easily.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

@azgal  I have used it for grape jam, and my son uses it for tomatoes. A really great gadget.

Honored Contributor

I hadn't thought to cook apples with cinnamon sticks  instead of ground cinnamon.  Good idea. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I make chunky applesauce.  I peel and quarter apples. When soft, I use a potato masher leaving some chunks.

I also core and cook apples with the skins on and then put in my Vitamix until smooth.

I used to use the tools shown to make applesauce, but no more.  I have to get some use out of my Vitamix.  Mostly it's a dust collector.

Honored Contributor
I am sure leaving on the skins would add a lot of flavor and some color...and also some vitamins.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Homemade Applesauce

[ Edited ]

Peels on!  Thanks for the inspiration....I am going to make applesauce today!  Yum!

Turned out great...used combination of Macs and Cortlands.

I don't think I have ever heard of Ruby Jon but will try them if I run across them!

Respected Contributor

When I used to make it, I left peels on and used a food mill. Haven't made in many years, though.