Honored Contributor

Holiday pie or tart recipe with no grain and coconut sugar? Any thoughts?

i'm hoping to make a dessert for a Paleo household, so no grain, no refined sweeteners. I know these people use "COCONUT SUGAR" as a sweetner, so I'd really like to abide by their rules.

Any thoughts? I was thinking nut crust, thinly sliced apples, lots of cinnamon and a sprinkling of the coconut sugar.

I haven't tried coconut sugar yet, but will be buying some today.......

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Holiday pie or tart recipe with no grain and coconut sugar? Any thoughts?

Some kind of fruit crime brûlée perhaps? Or flan topped with fruit? Maybe a Pavlova?
Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:
Some kind of fruit crime brûlée perhaps? Or flan topped with fruit? Maybe a Pavlova?

Exactly! I'm going to see how this goes, using DH as a victim until I get it right!

Respected Contributor

Villain, great minds think alike! My idea is to make a pumpkin filling using solid Pack unsweetened pumpkin and make a pie filling using Egg almond milk,vanilla, cinnamon and ginger. Here is where a little natural sweetness comes in: My current batch of cinnamon that I love is Saigon cinnamon. Any cinnamon you have on hand will work, but I find Saigon gives a little natural sweetness. Also, when it comes to ginger, I plan on grating some fresh ginger and putting enough in so there is a little "kick".  I am going to alternate the pie filling with paper thin slices of Granny Smith apple, sprinkle about a table spoon or two of coconut sugar ( it's still sugar and as a Diabetic, I have to consider that factoid). To add a little Southern flavor,, I think I will top it off with some chopped pecans. I think our pies are a great idea! You know, you do have an option to play with now that I'm thinking about it....how about using gluten free cookies? Sugar might be a problem however....I know I saw cookies labeled "Paleo friendly" at my local grocery-which is not a health food store. You know what else could possibly work? How about combining dried figs or dates with almond meal, pulse in a processor, and add a little water or juice if needed-or even coconut oil?

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I bet if I were to do the pumpkin/apple combo as a PUDDING and serve it with a good brand of frozen dessert it would be yummy! I could plan to slow bake it so that it would get all "blendy", chill it overnight,  then warm it slightly to serve. 

I actually bought pecans yesterday- by sprinklng them on top instead of trying to make a crust, I could call it "Upside down Holiday Pie!

I'm going to try a test batch for DH this weekend!

Respected Contributor

Violann, you know what else came to mind? I just may try this-pears would be fantastic as well: they are naturally sweet and high in fiber-what's not to love??? As far as the frozen topping goes, I have to limit fat, but I am seeing coconut cream going mainstream these days as a vegan/Paleo alternative. You take a can of unsweetened coconut milk and let it sit in your fridge (I haven't tried this, but I think I would open the can and decant it into a glass bowl or jar to make it easier to see the separation). My daughter says to let it sit for about six hours and the cream separates from the milk just like it's bovine counterpart.... freeze and voila-or even serve a well-chilled dollop, 

You know what else I thought about this morning? I think I am going to make a batch for snacking....years ago, (close to thirty) I did Richard Simmons. He had a fantastic recipe for mock coconut pie.  His book unfortunately has been misplaced, but the ingredients was cooked spaghetti squash and a simple custard made with skim milk, an egg or two, vanilla, and coconut extract. It tasted just like coconut-which I am madly in love with!!! You pressed it into a pan and baked it (probably @ 350 until it was light golden brown. These days, I would use almond milk and I would add some unsweetened shredded coconut and top it with crushed almonds. Oh-the sweetener-back in those days he used real sugar, but he kept it at a minimum and his diet was compatible with the American Diabetes Assoc. My guess is that he kept it to 1/4 cup. By all means, you could use whatever you wanted: maple syrup would be delicious. 

What else is on your menu my dear? Later, I want to check out Joy Bauer's recipes on "The Today Show". She lightened up some popular side dishes that got my attention. Have a beautiful peaceful day my friend, Hugs.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Bit the bullet and made my traditional Libby's pumpkin recipe with coconut sugar, about 1/3c or so and extra cinnamon and vanilla.

I poured half into a baking dish, (crust omitted), did a layer of organic Granny Smiths, a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon, another of coconut sugar, and then a layer of coarsely broken pecans.

Added the rest of the pumpkin, then topped THAT with coconut sugar, cinnamon and more pecans (no apples in this topping layer).

DH and I just tried it. It's DELICIOUS, not too sweet, and a little too runny. I'll try an extra egg and overnight cooling when I make it for company.

All Paleo. I may see if I can find some sort of Paleo ice cream online- if not, whipped coconut milk it will be.

Thanks so much for all of your tips and thoughts!

Respected Contributor

Sounds great! See what necessity and creativity can get you?