Contributor

Holiday food gifts....what are you favorites for giving?

I like to give my postal workers, trash man etc. gifts for the Holiday Season. What are your favorites to make for this gift giving season?

Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday food gifts....what are you favorites for giving?

I gift the folks who provide services with cash.  My fudge is the most-requested treat that I make.

Esteemed Contributor

ZIP-O

Big trash truck plows through neighborhood at six in AM - don't know them from Adam

Mailman - he gets good pay & benefits

UPS man - ditto

Guess cookies would be a nice tip - but I don't bake!

Honored Contributor

I don't know my ups, etc either, but my mother does.  She appreciates the extra mile they go for her.  She gives them $20 in a Christmas card.

Respected Contributor

My eyes were opened on this forum by the number of people who don’t eat food gifts, unless made by family or a close friend. Your food gifts may just go into the trash. (I would probably eat them though😉). 

Esteemed Contributor

Have always heard that mailman cannot accept money and heard the same about UPS man!   I usually give my mailman and lawn guys a good mix of cookies and candy.  Now that I know my UPS man, l will be giving him some too!   

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

My eyes were opened on this forum by the number of people who don’t eat food gifts, unless made by family or a close friend. Your food gifts may just go into the trash. (I would probably eat them though😉). 

---   ----------------

Interesting...I have also heard the opposite.  Some people will not eat food gifts unless the product is a store bought product.  Have heard that mostly from teachers/school personnel.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

ZIP-O

Big trash truck plows through neighborhood at six in AM - don't know them from Adam

Mailman - he gets good pay & benefits

UPS man - ditto

Guess cookies would be a nice tip - but I don't bake!

@fthunt.  The least you could do to show your gratitude for good service is to get up at 6am and in your robe, slippers and curlers chase the garbage truck down the street with a bag of cookies in your hand.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I give our postal carrier a gift card to a local restaurant..........worth $20.  Postal workers are not supposed to accept any  gift worth more than that, but certainly can accept up to that amount.

Grocery store gift cards are usually welcomed by just about every service provider.  I give these to carriers of the two newspapers we have home-delivered daily.

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

---   ----------------

Interesting...I have also heard the opposite.  Some people will not eat food gifts unless the product is a store bought product.  Have heard that mostly from teachers/school personnel.  

I don't eat food gifts either unless I know them VERY well.  I also don't give them because I don't know if someone is on a special diet or whatever.  

I give the mailman a $20 gift card at Christmas, for exceptional service I'll give another one during the year.  I don't think people want loads of sweets now, especially at the holidays.  You get overloaded with food not matter what.

If I know them well, and see them when they are at the mailbox, I'll offer them a soft drink or water, or say "You want some cookies?" if I have some or have made some, but to gift them food?  No.

I think teacher's get a lot of stuff they don't want too.  So I'd give them a small gift card and holiday card as well.  How many candles does a person need or want anyway?