Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I read a post of yours some days ago and it inspired me. You mentioned a pot of pinto beans so today I made a pot of pinto beans, two ham hocks, fresh garlic and a cup of chicken broth and collards. Buttered rye bread for sopping. So yummy and comforting.

Thanks for the inpiration.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love making a pot of pinto beans in my instant pot, no need to even soak the beans.  I need to remember to buy a ham hock, that would make it even better.

Do you have a recipe @Sooner?  I mean what seasonings besides the ham hock?  I had a co worker that made the best beans and he would always bring me some.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey @Sooner

[ Edited ]

@spumoni99 wrote:

I love making a pot of pinto beans in my instant pot, no need to even soak the beans.  I need to remember to buy a ham hock, that would make it even better.

Do you have a recipe @Sooner?  I mean what seasonings besides the ham hock?  I had a co worker that made the best beans and he would always bring me some.

@spumoni99 We don't use ham hocks now.  We use chicken broth to cook them.  We make them in our stove top Fissler pressure cooker sometimes, but don't now use the Instant Pot for beans.  We don't think they are as good.  And being retired we don't have to worry so much about time to make beans.  Also do lot of lentils and large butter beans/limas--my favorite! 

We also cook them in a Le Creuset pot on the cooktop since it has great simmer burners.

Sorry to disappoint.  We eat them with salsa or hot sauce of some sort and use them in soups.  Often eat them with greens on the side too.

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@Sooner  I read a post of yours some days ago and it inspired me. You mentioned a pot of pinto beans so today I made a pot of pinto beans, two ham hocks, fresh garlic and a cup of chicken broth and collards. Buttered rye bread for sopping. So yummy and comforting.

Thanks for the inpiration.Smiley Happy

@Queen of shop LOL!!!  Haven't made themwith hamhocks in years. Switched to chicken broth for healthy beans--served with salsa and or hot sauce. Yours sound better!  Woman Wink  And cornbread. Always (almost) cornbread.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hey @Sooner

[ Edited ]

@Sooner They probably are better on the stove top I just get impatient.  I will try it in my imitation la creuset next time.  My mom made the best post of white beans, whenever I try to make them this is tmi but the gas is worse than any other bean.  I love butter beans too.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 Our moms put fatty cured meats like ham and hocks!  Of course they are better!  Woman LOL  We sometimes use better then Better Than Bouillon ham base--salty but does have a little ham taste--to go in with the broth or water.

We also use a lot of ground white turkey and use their beef base or beef broth in with the turkey for burgers or chili.  Healthy and makes it taste not so much like turkey!  

Regular Contributor

@Sooner  Do you have a preferred brand of dried pinto beans? I favor Montelores grown in southwestern Colorado. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner :  I have beans that are not cooked all the way through everytime i make a pot of dry beans.  Something is wrong...maybe not enough water.