Super Contributor

Help with recalling a recipe

Over a decade ago I came across a recipe for a dump cake cobbler. I want to say it was on Paula Deen but, I'm not sure. All I recall is you put two sticks of butter in a casserole dish as the oven pre-heated. While that was happening, you mixed a box of cake mix with milk, I think, it may have been the peach juice, and opened a large can of peaches, drain them. Once the oven was pre-heated, you removed the dish, and poured the batter into the butter, not mixing it, and toped with the peaches. You baked it, and as it did so, the peaches fell to the bottom. The bottom had a crispy brown, yet most sweet texture and taste, and butter absorbed into the cake. 

I've researched what I know and can't find the exact recipe. I know I wrote it down.....somewhere. I used to make it at least once a month. So much so, I just worked on instinct. Anyone know what recipe I'm looking for? TIA! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with recalling a recipe

@Ane1Care 

**NOTE** - You can substitutute 2 (15 oz.) cans of sliced peaches, drained, reserve 1/4 cup juice to pour over top gently (I use the back of a large spoon to pour juice over).

Peach Cobbler By Paula Deen

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups divided sugar
  • 4 cups peeled and sliced peaches
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • optional ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir.

Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up, Exclusive: All-New Peach Cobbler

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh boy this sounds soooo good. 

Contributor

LADY & SONS’ PEACH COBBLER
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sugar
¾ cup self rising flour
¾ cup milk
28 oz can sliced peaches in heavy syrup, undrained
cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir sugar and flour together and mix well. Slowly add milk and continue to stir to prevent the batter from lumping. Pour butter in 2 qt baking dish. Pour batter directly over butter. DO NOT STIR. Spoon fruit on top of batter, then gently pour syrup on top. DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 30-45 min or until golden brown.

Or......this is one I copied from you in August of 2016

Easy Peach Cobbler ~ Ane1There

•1 large can of sliced peaches
•1 large box of Peach Jell-O
•1 stick butter
•1.5 cups water
•1 box yellow cake mix

1.Pour peaches, including juice, into a 13x9 pan.
2.Sprinkle Jell-O over peaches.
3.Sprinkle dry cake mix over that.
4.Pinch and crumble the butter over that.
5.Slowly pour the water all over the top.
6.Bake 400°F for about 40 mins, until golden on top.

(Your comment):  I woke up today thinking of this crazy cobbler recipe I grew up with. I don't know if it's a southern thing or was popular in the 80's -or earlier- elsewhere or not. It's a scoop-able, sweet and sticky dessert that is perfect warm with vanilla ice cream. I liked salted butter, but you can use unsalted. Don't mix! Just dump and bake. Be careful of pets or kids when you take it out of the oven, sugar is boiling when it's removed.

Or this one also uses dry cake mix:

Peach Cobbler ~ barbarainnc  2014

1 (29 oz) can of peaches

1 box of yellow cake mix

1 stick of margarine or butter, melted

Spray a 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray, then pour in the peaches and juice. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top, then drizzle the melted margarine or butter on top. Bake at 325* for 45 - 55 minutes.

Or:

Peach Cobbler ~ Ties That Bind (Easy)  2010
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 stick butter
3/4 to 1 c. milk
1 lg. can sliced peaches
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional) use it, it is better with it
3 tbsp. sugar (optional)use it, it is better with it
Melt butter in the microwave, then add butter to a 2 quart casserole dish, on the bottom of the dish,combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
Pour the batter over the melted butter; dribble peach juice into the mixture and add peaches. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes at 375°F.Love,Ties

I hope you can find the one you wanted, or maybe one of these can help until you do.

Good luck.

Gr8Auntie

Honored Contributor

Paula Deens dump cake recipes are usually fruit on the bottom of a 9x13 greased baking dish, covered with a dry cake mix, melted butter poured on top, baked until bubbly.   

Super Contributor

I know it's not the dry cake mix one. I've made that before too. The others with the melted butter seem like it. Though, I could've sworn it called for box mix not flour, etc batter. I could be wrong though. I was hoping to recreate it using a box of gluten-free cake mix since I can't use wheat anymore. I've used the gluten-free flour before in recipes but, was hoping for short cut. 

THANK YOU all for helping me!!! ♥️

Honored Contributor

I only know one with 1 stick of butter.

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care 

Just google Paula Deens butter cake recipes.   Some of them call for stirring together a cake mix, egg, and butter, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom

I got this at TJ Maxx the other day. I thought of you when I saw it - if your ears were ringing LOL!

6BCB5D73-2AC0-4F03-9DC1-BAA295D594F4.jpeg