Valued Contributor

Help with Gluten Free Cooking

Hi friends, I am assigned bringing a gluten free dessert to a gathering next week. I have no experience with this.
My first idea was making apple crisp; would I just substitute for the flour in the crumb topping? Is the flour the only problem in a recipe? Can anyone help? TIA
Honored Contributor

Re: Help with Gluten Free Cooking

@HB glamma Why did you get stuck with the gluten free dish when you are NOT gluten free?

IMO this should have been "assigned" to someone who actually IS gluten free and knows how to cook that way. Sheesh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been gluten free for about 35 years.  It's not difficult to make gluten free desserts.

Homemade Rice pudding is a great dessert.

You Can buy gluten free cookies and crush them up and make a crumb pie crust for lemon meringue, chocolate silk or coconut cream pie or even cheese cake.  A Banana split cake is super easy...no baking.  Just substitute gluten free cookie crumbs for graham crackers.  This dessert is always a big hit.

You can make gluten free apple crisp with Gluten Free Bisquick.  There are gluten free cake and brownie mixes in the baking section.

Flourless chocolate cake has been around for years...

There are lots of recipes on line.

Gluten is in wheat, rye and barley so avoid those ingredients.

Valued Contributor

Hi @HB glamma , I've made a gluten free Apple crisp for my nephew using gluten free flour and gf oats in the topping,  My gluten free kitchen has some good recipes to browse. 

Super Contributor

King Arthur has a good Gluten-Free Flour.   If you'd rather do something much easier, you could even use one of their cake mixes.  I find King Arthur gf products to be excellent.  Here is a link to the King Arthur Gluten Free recipe page: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/search?query=gluten-free%20recipes

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@HB glamma Why did you get stuck with the gluten free dish when you are NOT gluten free?

IMO this should have been "assigned" to someone who actually IS gluten free and knows how to cook that way. Sheesh.

i tend to agree with this, as if one has celiac disease all the pots pans used to cook with must be free of glutens as well

I am not a baker so I would have run from this duty gluten full or free 

Respected Contributor

@Little Way wrote:

King Arthur has a good Gluten-Free Flour.   If you'd rather do something much easier, you could even use one of their cake mixes.  I find King Arthur gf products to be excellent.  Here is a link to the King Arthur Gluten Free recipe page: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/search?query=gluten-free%20recipes

@HB glamma  King Arthur's gluten-free flour is called Measure for Measure. My BIL has celiac disease and can't eat gluten. I've bought Measure for Measure for my sister at BJ's and she likes it a lot. Over the years since he was diagnosed, she's tried many different alternatives and likes M4M a lot. If you can't find it in a local grocery store, you can get it on Amazon. It's Prime, so you could get it quickly. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you all, as always, you are a big help!
I was asked to bring gluten free dessert to a dinner party, 5 couples attending. Only one person has to eat gluten-free but the hostess is going all out and making the entire evening gluten free. I hope this person eats dessert after all this:-))
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not knowing where you live, there are many, many excellent bakeries where I live that make gluten free. I'd try that first. 2nd, I'd go with King Arthur gluten free mix.

Baking is an art and if you don't do it often, it's not going to be great. Especially if you are new to using wheat free flour. Good luck. Sounds like you drew the loosing hand hereSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I agree with PP, a non-gluten free baker should not have been elected for this project.

I would make GF rice Krispy treats (using GF rice crispy cereal)

or

I would buy a GF cake mix, they are available in any grocery store.  I would not spend money on expensive GF ingredients.

Image result for betty crocker gluten free cake mix