Respected Contributor

Re: Help please, hubby says rice is boring.

@butterfly123

Your recipe looks good. Thank you. We always make our own sauces, too, and avoid flavorless canned cream soups.

Super Contributor

For a quick and easy side dish I add sautéed (in butter) chopped celery and green onions to steamed jasmine rice. Season with salt and pepper. 

Honored Contributor

Look up recipes for rice pilaf using vermicelli.  Kind of like Rice-A-Roni but much tastier.

@house_cat

Honored Contributor

@house_cat I am so glad your casserole came out so great thanks to @butterfly123 for her suggestion!  I know how hard it can be to come up with dishes for folks that don't have much of an appetite.  Take care my friend . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@house_cat

This is one of my favs!  I think DiAnne posted it maybe.

CALYPSO RICE

Good with barbecued meat, chicken or fish!

1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup rice
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 t turmeric (leave out or sub curry or dry mustard)
1/2 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a med saucepan bring broth and juice to a boil over high heat.

Stir in remaining ingredients except parsley.

Reduce heat to low and cook covered to about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Toss rice with fork and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

@house_cat I have made this recipe posted by @RespectLife and @DiAnne and it is delicious!  I don't know if your DH likes salsa at all but I'll make a bit of rice and mix it with a fruit based salsa (my current favorites are Mango Habanero by Pace and a Peach version by Aldi.  Neither have a lot of heat but are fresh and very good).

Honored Contributor

We really like the Goya brand of rice mixes.  The yellow rice is our favorite.

I will add saffron and some frozen peas to it if we are having it with shrimp, diced and sauteed peppers and onions if it's going with chicken.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

😘

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@butterfly123

Thank you - that's right up his alley.

I have a bag of frozen broccoli florets, I think they'd work.

@house_cat.  If he would eat a cold rice salad, I cook either brown rice or arborio rice. As you said, his diet is limited so use what you can. I add to the cooked rice, diced scallions, 3 diced tomatoes, diced carrots, diced zucchini or peas, red or yellow peppers diced small, raisins, artichokes cut up, parsley, basil and pine nuts or any nuts you choose. I mix it all with Italian Dressing and let it chill. I usually make it a day ahead.  You can always sub tomatoes for the peppers. 

You can certainly add whatever cheese he likes to this recipe.

Also,mix 2 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups water, 1 1/4 sticks butter, 1 3/4 package onion soup, low sodium, fresh mushrooms or 1 large can mushrooms or water chestnuts ( canned). Put it all in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 hr and 15 minutes.

I just thought, if you want to make this rice or even the cold rice recipe as a full meal, just add some cooked chicken to each recipe before eating. To the cold rice, you could even add tuna if chicken is a no no.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

My DH loves rice topped with 'petite diced tomatoes' ! 

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@house_cat

Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch

PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME 55 minutes
SERVINGS 8 servings
AUTHOR Holly
COURSE Side Dish
CUISINE American

This Broccoli Rice Casserole is made from scratch (and contains no condensed soup). Fresh crisp broccoli and fluffy rice come together in a creamy cheesy homemade sauce to create a family favorite side dish!

Ingredients
  • 6 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
SAUCE
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup onion diced (about 1 small)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon each garlic & black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • salt to taste
  • 3 tablespoons cream cheese
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Cook onion and butter on medium-low heat until softened and translucent. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
  3. Gradually pour in milk while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add dry mustard, paprika, cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
  4. Place broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes. You still want it slightly crisp as it cooks more in the oven.
  5. Stir together rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. Place in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese lightly browned.

I cut this recipe in half. Leftovers may be reheated in microwave. My husband’s favorite rice recipe. 

@butterfly123 @house_cat 

I love mushrooms and would sauté some in the pan with the onions and butter.