Honored Contributor

Re: Help please, hubby says rice is boring.

@house_cat wrote:

He's not a fan of rice.

I am.

I want to make some rice to accompany our salmon tonight. I'm looking for easy, but tasty ideas.

Thank you.

Zut alors! Smiley Wink

After teaching in Japan 3 years, I came back to the states adding that as one of my necessary food groups. I fix rice for my family all of the time, and I have been forever. They really never had a choice. LOL! My children were eating rice with chicken broth when they could first eat solid foods. 

We all like regular steamed WHITE rice, but some of our other favorites that I make are fried rice and Spanish rice. Let me know if you're interested in either one of those! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch

PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME 55 minutes
SERVINGS 8 servings
AUTHOR Holly
COURSE Side Dish
CUISINE American

This Broccoli Rice Casserole is made from scratch (and contains no condensed soup). Fresh crisp broccoli and fluffy rice come together in a creamy cheesy homemade sauce to create a family favorite side dish!

Ingredients
  • 6 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
SAUCE
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup onion diced (about 1 small)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon each garlic & black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • salt to taste
  • 3 tablespoons cream cheese
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Cook onion and butter on medium-low heat until softened and translucent. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
  3. Gradually pour in milk while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add dry mustard, paprika, cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
  4. Place broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes. You still want it slightly crisp as it cooks more in the oven.
  5. Stir together rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. Place in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese lightly browned.

I cut this recipe in half. Leftovers may be reheated in microwave. My husband’s favorite rice recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

Thank you - that's right up his alley.

I have a bag of frozen broccoli florets, I think they'd work.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

travone has a good idea. He makes his side & you make your rice. Why should you have to come up with some idea. Share the burden.

Honored Contributor

My DH wants rice.  I'm not a fan unless it's wild rice, 6 to 8 bites.  Spanish rice gets 3 bites.  Rice with fried chicken gravy?  I may eat half.

Rice with stir fry?  Gone!!!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I made your recipe tonight, because of all the great recipes posted, it seemed like the one he'd most like. I used basmati rice, which is my default variety. It turned out beautifully and I enjoyed it very much.  He ate enough of it to make it worthwhile - that's the best I can hope for these days.

Thank you to everyone who posted.  I got some good ideas, as I always do when I post on this forum.

My foodie friends ROCK!

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I'm a big relyer on Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup.  There, I said it publicly.  Nothing easier and we both like the taste on or in about anything.

GROSS.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Your rice looks delicious. I’m happy your DH ate enough to make it worthwhile. 

My DH just came from work and said “housecat made my favorite rice and it looks perfect”.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Add some fresh saffron to your rice when boiling.  Saffron rice is to good.  Your water should look yellow.  I believe he will like the rice very much.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Easy quick answer: Ask him what he is going to make for a side dish, instead. So glad my husband and I eschewed those traditional roles from the start.