Respected Contributor

Re: Help please, hubby says rice is boring.

I love rice and cook it often.  I will mince some onion, garlic or shallot and sauté it for a bit in either butter or olive oil.  Add some salt and pepper and either chicken, beef or vegetable broth.  Then the rice.  

Sometimes lemon zest and parsley or lime zest and cilantro.  

I sometimes add minced celery too.  Or sliced sautéed mushrooms.  Or bell pepper.

I do not use a recipe I just toss it in and it always tastes delicious to me.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I'm a big relyer on Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup.  There, I said it publicly.  Nothing easier and we both like the taste on or in about anything.

What do you do with it regarding the rice?

You use it just like you use it any time.  You mix some of it in with the liquid you use to cook the rice, like water or broth.  It is a flavoring agent and a thickening agent.  

Many food snobs consider it for trashy people only, and some health food advocates think it and Coke will surely kill, maime or render brain dead any person beneath them who might consume it.  If that were true, the South would be unpopulated by anyone over 25 now. 

Like a lot of other things too much probably isn't good for you, but it is  guick and flavorful base and thickener, nothing more nothing less.  I'd rather eat it than frozen pizza any day.  

You can add hot sauce for some zip, cheese, parm cheese, I always use a small spoonful of dry sherry or vermouth and that makes it a whole other sauce.  It does wonders for the slightly sweet taste. Full strength or mostly full strength it is the backbone of a great King Ranch Chicken casserole.  Don't add salt until you taste than adjust.  There is a "healthier" version, but I can't tell much difference.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  I measure out regular white rice, saute briefly in butter in a sauce pan, add chopped onions and saute those, and then season with my favorite spices or seasoning mixture, add some parsley for color, then add the proper amount of stock (for salmon I would use either chicken or vegetarian stock) and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to low heat for about twenty minutes.

The formula I use for rice is 2 cups liquid to 1 cup of rice.

After the rice is cooked you can throw in some frozen thawed, steamed peas or a peas and carrots mix if you want more color.

My latest seasoning kick is Penzeys Spices Northwoods which is a blend 0f coarse flake salt, Hungarian sweet paprika, Tellicherry black pepper, thyme, cracked rosemary, granulated garlic, and chipotle.

You could also do "green rice" which has spinach and parsley in it, to which I always add sauteed garlic cloves or granulated garlic.

In a Spanish type rice I add sauteed green diced peppers and chili powder and vermicelli broken into small pieces and browned--sort of my version of Rice a Roni.

Hope these ideas help.  I love to eat rice and use it once or twice a week.

Honored Contributor

By the way, we have always used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup in dressing.  We don't use eggs, we use that thinned with some broth.  Use more broth if you want it wetter, or pour broth over it in the pan before baking.

Respected Contributor

Use yellow rice, white rice, even rice-a-roni.  Add green olives, roasted red peppers, green peas!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all the nice ideas.

I'll keep trying.....

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat@Tell him to try Korean bbq sauce on his rice...tastes great and adds a kick.

Honored Contributor

Nuke him a spud, while you have your rice............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Down know your status. We are retired and DH does a lot of his own cooking. If your husband doesn't like rice have HIM make what he likes.

Respected Contributor

I make rice and add diffrent things to it.  Sometimes peas and sauteed onion, sometimes garbanzo beans and chopped tomatoes. corn and salsa.  I just make it up as I cook!