Trusted Contributor

I am looking for a tried & true recipe for anyone who needs to eat sugar free. We’re doing a Veteran’s dinner and I would like to make something really good as a sugar free option. I don’t have any idea what I’m doing. I’ve baked a lot but not without sugar. I’ve looked long & hard on the internet & not found too many promising things. I need something fairly simple because it will be a very busy week. 

Thanks so much for any ideas. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Help With Sugarfree Recipe

I like these peanut butter cookies:

2 cups smooth natural peanut butter

1 cup white Splenda

1 cup Brown Splenda

2 eggs 

1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Roll dough into 1" balls and place on parchment-lined or lightly-greased baking sheet.  Flatten tops of balls with floured tines of a fork.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minues.

Esteemed Contributor

Better than that cake!

INGREDIENTS:

Crust

• 1cup pecans chopped (can use less)
  • 3tbsp granulated sugar (sweetener of your choice)
  • 1/2cup unsalted butter melted
  • 1cup all-purpose flour

Cream cheese layer

• 8oz cream cheese
  • 1/2cup icing sugar (sweetener of your choice)
  • 1cup cool whip 

Vanilla pudding

Chocolate Pudding

• 1oz instant chocolate pudding (sugar free)
  • 2cups milk

Toppings

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
  2. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  3. In a mixer mix all the crust ingredients together and press the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
  4. Bake it for about 20 minutes.
  5. Prepare the vanilla pudding as per the instructions on the package. As noted I used 2 cups of milk instead of the 3 cups on the package instructions to get a firmer pudding. 
  6. Prepare the chocolate pudding as per the instructions on the package. As noted I used 2 cups of milk instead of the 3 cups on the package instructions to get a firmer pudding.
  7. In a mixer add the cream cheese, powdered sugar and the cup of whipped cream. Mix until light and fluffy.
  8. Let the crust cool. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust evenly. Spread the vanilla pudding over the cream cheese layer, then the chocolate pudding. Spread the whipped cream as the last layer then top with shaved chocolate if preferred.
  9. Refrigerate for a couple hours until it sets before serving.

I took this to a Christmas party and when I told them it was sugar free, everyone wanted to taste it!

It was the first dish on the table of desserts to be emptied!  It is really that good!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Renata22 wrote:

I am looking for a tried & true recipe for anyone who needs to eat sugar free. We’re doing a Veteran’s dinner and I would like to make something really good as a sugar free option. I don’t have any idea what I’m doing. I’ve baked a lot but not without sugar. I’ve looked long & hard on the internet & not found too many promising things. I need something fairly simple because it will be a very busy week. 

Thanks so much for any ideas. 

Hi @Renata22,

If you go to the Splenda website, you can find many recipes there, and many ideas there.

You can substitute Splenda in your recipes in a one-to-one ratio.

In other words, you use one cup of Splenda sugar substitute for one cup of white sugar. Smiley Happy

If the recipe calls for 3/4 cup of white sugar, then you would use 3/4 cup of Splenda, and so on. 

You can do this for your own favorite recipes that you already have and use in your recipe collection where you would just replace the white sugar in the recipe with an equal amount of Splenda, or you can try some of the recipes from their website, if you would rather do that.

There are also cooking and baking tips on their website, for cooking and baking with Splenda.

Esteemed Contributor

@Renata22 - Can you use recipes with natural fruit sugars (such as from bananas, apples, and oranges)? If so, I have plenty of recipes I can share. And you may want to be careful in using Splenda as a sugar substitute; I have a severe allergy to sucralose/Splenda and know others who are also sensitive to that ingredient.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much to everyone! Everything sounds great. I had to decide what I was going to make so I could get everything. The dinner is on Sat. I decided on a pumpkin pie and a cheesecake that both looked fairly easy. I will save everyone's suggestions and recipes for the next time we do this. Those recipes sound really good. 

Thanks also for the sucralose reaction info. I hadn't thought of that. I don't really know much about having to keep track of sugar and what type is ok. We're just trying to have choices for everyone.

Thanks again so much everyone!!

Honored Contributor

I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for the past 40 years. I find that sugarfree dessert-like foods pretty much taste horrible. They have a distint aftertaste from the artificial sugar. I would greatly appreciate a big bowl of cut up fresh fruit! You could accompany the fruit with a fruit dip if you'd like. 

"Pure Michigan"