Trusted Contributor

Re: Help. Need a recipe for wonderful roasted chicken

I love Ina Garten’s fail-safe,  goof-proof, easy recipe. I make it for just myself so I select a smaller chicken. Otherwise I follow it to the letter. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-recipe-194...

Tasty, juicy, and the skin is crispy and tender. Magnificent roast chicken that’s a cinch to make. 

Honored Contributor

This is the best roast chicken I have ever tasted.  My friend went to France for a week to a cooking school and this is one of her recipe from the class.

CHICKEN WITH TARRAGON MUSTARD SAUCE

3 to 4 pound whole chicken
Salt and pepper
1 handful of tarragon stems
1/3 cup chopped tarragon leaves
1-1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Creme Fraiche
2 t Dijon mustard

375 oven

Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Season cavity and the bird with salt and pepper.  Put the tarragon stems in the cavity.  In a roasting pan add the bird with the chicken stock.  Roast for about 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is golden and leg joint moves easily.  Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to sit 10 minutes before carving.  Place the pan on top of the stove over med high heat.  Add the wine and deglaze the pan working up the particles from bottom and sides.  Reduce the amount of liquid by about 1/3.  Reduce the heat and whisk in the mustard and creme fraiche.  Cook until thickened.  Add the chopped fresh tarragon leaves.  Slice the bird and place a serving platter.  Pour the sauce over.  Garnish with any remaining tarragon leaves.  

Respected Contributor

@lucky-girl   Costco rotissiere chicken $4.99.  Best value in the place.  J/K, but anytime someone requests a chicken recipe, my thoughts go to Costco's rotisserie chicken. Cheap, delicious and leftovers make the best soup.  Had some tonight. 

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

I am also a lover of the Costco rotisserie chicken.  Love it for tacos, enchiladas, chicken salad, etc.  The carcases are great to make chicken stock for soup.  

Honored Contributor

My go to recipe for roast chicken is Costcos rotisserie.

It never disappoints, is always good and you can't beat the price.

It's not worth buying an oven stuffer to bring home and cook yourself.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your help 

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We'll have to give the Costco chicken a try, as many people here seem to love them so much. Smiley Happy

Sam's Club rotisserie chickens are also very good, too.

I still like to roast a whole chicken when I want to get a really large roaster and feel like having lots of left-overs. 

I especially liked to do it when we still had our little old kitty with us.

Chicken was one of her very favorite proteins to eat, and I would roast it for all of us so that she could also enjoy it. I would leave seasonings off of it that she couldn't eat as a kitty, and I would take the skin off of her portion. Smiley Very Happy Heart

Respected Contributor

I go more for easy than Wonderful.  Take a chicken, peel an orange,  break it open so the pulp is exposed and put the torn up  sections inside the chicken,  Grab a celery stalk with the leaves,  break it up and stick it in the chicken   Peel a clove of garlic and slice it into a few large pieces.  Rub the outer skin with the cut garlic  and shove Them in the cavity.  Rub the outside with a little oil or butter.  Sprinkle with some salt if desired.  Roast.  I've been told it's good by many people so I keep doing it.  Feel free to tweak.

Valued Contributor

For me, its the pot that makes the chicken and a Romertopf works best:

https://trustinkim.com/2012/02/12/roast-chicken-in-a-romertopf-clay-roaster/

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We'll have to give the Costco chicken a try, as many people here seem to love them so much. Smiley Happy

Sam's Club rotisserie chickens are also very good, too.

I still like to roast a whole chicken when I want to get a really large roaster and feel like having lots of left-overs. 

I especially liked to do it when we still had our little old kitty with us.

Chicken was one of her very favorite proteins to eat, and I would roast it for all of us so that she could also enjoy it. I would leave seasonings off of it that she couldn't eat as a kitty, and I would take the skin off of her portion. Smiley Very Happy Heart

@Toppers3 another hale and hearty vote for a Costco rotisserie chicken.  @CelticCrafter is right, those are the best roasted chickens I have ever had and feeds so many people!  Never a disappointment.