Super Contributor

Help! Fried cheese wonton fail

Can someone tell me what I did wrong?  My cheese wontons had no filling in them after they were fried. They were a little puffy, so I guess I didn't try hard enough to get all the air out, but they didn't explode and no filling leaked out in the oil.  There was some filling that coated the inside of the wonton but that's it.  

They fried up beautifully and what little I could taste, they had good flavor.  I just expected to find a teaspoonful of cheese in the middle and there was nothing!

Is it because of me not getting all the air out?  I squeezed them shut as much as I could without squeezing the cheese out.  Evidently I don't have the correct procedure for this.

I tried to find an answer to this on-line but it seems no one else has had this problem and I came up dry.  Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Fried cheese wonton fail

@caroln242    Could it have been the type of cheese you used, something that contained too much moisture? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've only ever made chicken wontons.  I chilled the filling before making the wontons.  I cooked them in a pot of simmering, salted water for a couple minutes.

Super Contributor

All the recipes I have seen call for Philadelphia cream cheese, but it's possible it was a little soupy because one recipe said to mix it with an electric mixer so I did.  Maybe just mixing by hand would be better.  And also putting it in the refrigerator for awhile after mixing to firm it up some before putting it on the wonton to fold up will help.

Good suggestions...thanks.  I'll try again soon.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not an expert....but - my guess would be that the cheese was too delicate for the high heat of the hot oil. The only wontons I've had were stuffed with a pork mixture - never just cheese. As an aside, I've put cheese filled brats in my air fryer, and while they end up nicely done, the cheese filling is pretty much gone. ...my point is that high heat and cheese do not end up very well if exposed to the heat for too long.

Super Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'm not an expert....but - my guess would be that the cheese was too delicate for the high heat of the hot oil. The only wontons I've had were stuffed with a pork mixture - never just cheese. As an aside, I've put cheese filled brats in my air fryer, and while they end up nicely done, the cheese filling is pretty much gone. ...my point is that high heat and cheese do not end up very well if exposed to the heat for too long.

Hmm, that's interesting.  I've seen recipes that bake the wontons instead of deep frying them.  Maybe that's  worth a try.  The heat from the oven isn't as intense as frying so it might work better.  Thanks for the idea.

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm back with a wonton update.  On my second attempt, I made the filling by hand - no electric mixer this time, and refrigerated it for about a half hour.  I filled the wontons, trying to make sure all the air was out of them.  I placed them on a greased cookie sheet and sprayed the wontons with vegetable spray to help them brown.  Put them in a 400 degree oven for 7 minutes or so.  And voila!  The wontons actually still had cheese in them!  Yay!   I do think the heat of the deep fryer is too intense for this type of wonton.  

Next time I think I'll leave them in the oven for a couple extra minutes though and try to get them a little crisper.  At 7 minutes they were kind of soft.  But good!

So making the filling less soupy, refrigerating it for awhile and baking instead of frying seemed to do the trick.  Not to mention less calories!  Thanks for all the suggestions!

I wish I knew, though, how all the people who makes these in the deep fryer get such good results and I failed so miserably.

Man plans. God laughs.