Respected Contributor

Heinz proposes a mayo/ketchup combination in a bottle

Honored Contributor

Re: Heinz proposes a mayo/ketchup combination in a bottle

I don't know.  I think this is a dumb idea. And the name is really bad.  I think they really need to re-think this one.  I guess they are testing it out but it's not available here yet.  They at least should come up with a more interesting and/or catchy name for it!  Nothing wrong with mixing the 2 if you like that, but as posted, you can easily do this yourself! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Perhaps they should market it as "Russian Dressing Base'  and charge double in the prepaired foods section.

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, my Mom mixed ketchup and mayo and called it 1000 Island.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After thinking about it, I think Heinz is just trying to promote demand for its mayo, which might be relatively new in the marketplace.

Only recently (I think), Heinz came out with its own yellow mustard to compete with French's.

Now perhaps it needs to compete against all the popular brands of mayo (Hellmanns/Best Foods/Dukes).

It  already has a big share of the ketchup market.

And for sure, you can already make or buy Thousand Island or Russian dressing very easily.

Honored Contributor

Lesssee,  Ketsup on my fries and hamburgs.  Mayo on my sandwiches.  Maybe on my hamburg, but not often.  The two together on fries, no way.  Yes, I can do this for myself. 

Honored Contributor

All I know is that there are hundreds of products on supermarket shelves that I ignore totally.  The choices actually overwhelm me -  so until someone points out a product or offers me a taste perhaps, I pretty much never focus on the choices enough to think to try it.

As for this idea -  while I often mix a bit of mayo and some mustard, I rarely mix ketchup and mayo.  My mother did make her own version of Russian dressing, but it went onto iceberg lettuce wedges.  I sometimes go a whole year without buying a head of iceberg.   What else do I want this combo for??

Respected Contributor

What!  you don't like fry sauce??  Man, that's a staple round these here parts.  We've been making this for decades.  We even had an olympic pin for fry sauce.  I can't imagine eating fries without this stuff.

But most of the stuff in a bottle is nasty.  You have to mix just the right combination of ketchup and mayo and put a dab of dill pickle juice in.  Some folks like a little horseradish, but I don't.

It's not Russian dressing.

Honored Contributor

I saw that.  It doesn't sound appetizing.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven’t had a Big Mac in a long time but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember a combination of mayo/ketchup/mustard on the Big Mac .... they used to call it “special sauce” ..... ?