Respected Contributor

Re: Heavy Appetizer ideas

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs    On UPCOMING FALL & WINTER HOLIDAY 2018 APPETIZERS thread I have something similar to what @software posted here--entry 8 of 8.  That whole thread might have some pretty good ideas for you.

I know you said you wanted to have everything cold but the Crockpot can be your friend so you might be able to do a couple of things the day before and reheat in the slow cooker.

And, as someone else mentioned, shrimp cocktail is always a hit as is an antipasto platter.

Contributor

Ahh ... grazing tables (love that name), so good! Sounds like you're off to a good start on building one. Perhaps consider adding deviled eggs (or hard-boiled ones). Also a fave - phyllo-wrapped baked brie; it can be made sweet or savory, and it's delicious. Don't forget the drinks (adult and famil ones). This year we're having Jingle Juice - yummy!

grazing table.jpg

jingle juioce.jpg

Respected Contributor

I don't know how many people you are having but my first thought was to put a family size frozen lasagna in the oven and serve with garlic bread and a salad.  Later on serve a few different types of Christmas cookies. 

Respected Contributor

Pizza or tacos. Most kids like pizza. I think I would go for pizza if I had lots of kids over. Pizza party for Christmas could be a fun new tradition!

Honored Contributor

I would purchase a spiral cut Honeybaked ham and put out the fixings for sandwiches and let people help themselves.  If you are more ambitious you could make a pasta salad to go with it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm all for the Honeybaked ham and sandwich fixings to let people make their own. And don't forget a big plate of cookies! Most kids (and adults) like chip & dip too. Maybe a good punch drink recipe with a bowl of ice and plastic beverage glasses. Not much clean up with any of it!

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

shrimp cocktail is ALWAYS a huge hit......it is the first item people head to in our house......either shrimp cocktail or steamed shrimp.

crab balls (if you have access to good crabmeat) are good to make a day ahead and serve them at room temperature with cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, and cajun mustard sauce.

fruit display or fruit salad

hidden valley ranch oyster crackers, chex party mix, assorted nuts.....all good to put out.

shaved brussel sprout salad or a field green salad with raspberries, candied walnuts or pecans, feta or goat or blue cheese, and a raspberry vinaigrette. this looks particularly festive during the holidays.

plain yogurt with grated cucumber, dill, dried mint, possibly grated onion or a little bit of garlic powder......tastes great with pita chips or cut up pita bread or the small indian snack breads.

smoked salmon platter......capers, cream cheeses, red onion, mini bagels or flatbreads

REALLY great ideas! ALL of these appetizers look delicious. Thanks. I'll be making a LOT of them. I LOVE the idea of having a variety of appetizers instead of a typical meal.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Usually I make a  meal when the we host Chritmas with the grandkids....this year I am not preparing a meal, to much work and generally not a lot is eaten...I plan on having cheese spread, dip and crackers, with veggies, but would like to make something a little more substantial...any ideas, thank you.

@Mom2Dogs

I have been doing heavy appetizers for several years now.  With the kids being older and having S.O.'s, they have several places they need to be on holidays, especially Christmas.  Doing appetizers are a lot of work but many can be made ahead and even taste better if they mellow a day or two.  I try to adhere to Ina Garten's advice-don't try to make it all yourself.  It's ok to buy some premade things.  I have kids of all ages and they always find food they like to eat plus since they are appetizers, they are bite size!

That said, I have made 4 of Ree Drummons Christmas cocktail party that @slaphappy suggested; I have made the Christmas queso which is terrific,  the tortellini skewers, the roll ups that always get eaten, and the beef tenderloin-it is now a staple for Christmas.  I also serve shrimp cocktail with the peel and eat shrimp offered at SAM's.  I make Ina's cocktail sauce to serve with it as well as her horseradish sauce (although I greatly increase the horseradish) with the tenderloin.   Then it is whatever I feel like making or find interesting to serve with it.  Sometimes one or more of our DD's have a recipe they want to try out and add to the buffet.  I always make cookies and candy so I don't make any special desserts.  People can come and go as they please and I don't feel "put out" making a sit down dinner that no one will eat.  Many of the appetizers can be warmed up the next day or so, and many times someone wants the leftovers.  It all works out.  And no one feels they have too many "sit down" dinners in a day.  I would suggest you make what you want, and maybe have another two or three back up appetizers on hand in case you run out-keep those simple; you can use them on New Years Eve if not for Christmas.  Then in following years, you will have a better idea of how much to offer.  Just relax and enjoy your holiday!

Honored Contributor

I just started a thread with a wide variety of 15 different dips but I thought maybe this one would be interesting to you @Mom2Dogs:

Easy Cheesy Chicken-Artichoke Skillet Dip

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/easy-cheesy-chicken-artichoke-skillet-dip/19cdd85d-40c0-4f9c-a6af...

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe, oh, that looks tasty! Thank you