New Contributor

Re: Heavenly Potatoes And Ham

New Contributor

On 8/21/2014 cece5231 said: Hi LBM! Coincidentally a friend of mine gave me this recipe just a just few months ago. She has since passed, but I made it right after she gave it to me. It is delicious. Her only difference was to use 1# spaghetti rather than potatoes. I just made it and put it into the freezer for a gathering she usually attended. Love your recipes and next time I will use potatoes. So glad to see you posting again. Cece

Thank you, LilBitMisty, and hello ladies. This is a good recipe, and I guess a lot of people have their own way of doing it. Like the spaghetti cece is talking about.

I've been making this same great recipe for 30 years, but use frozen hash browns, minus the ham & minus the butter. Got the recipe from an older lady, and she always used a crock pot to free up her oven for a ham, etc. I was surprised when I discovered that lots of people make this with the frozen potatoes. Sure makes it easier.

Hash Brown Casserole II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Honored Contributor

I do a frozen hash brown version too. Only no butter in with the pots and no ham.

It also calls for drizzling a little butter over the top when 1/2 baked and but sprinkling crushed potato chips on top instead of bread crumbs! My DD favorite part.

It truly is fast and easy using frozen hash browns (the little cubed ones, I don't use the shredded hash browns). From frozen, takes about 1 hr+ to cook. Prep is 2 mins. since I don't have to precook potatoes.

I am making it next weekend for Labor Day since it is so easy to prepare ahead of time. I have lots more dishes to make and this saves time.

I'm thinking of adding some bacon and extra cheeses this time!

Thanks Lilbit for posting this! I am going to try adding ham! Everyone will enjoy any version. I love the spaghetti idea too, cece!

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting LilBit! Like the idea of using hashbrowns and even spaghetti.

Valued Contributor

I can't wait for fall- cooler weather means more turning the oven on. This sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

This looks amazing!!! LBM WOW, where have you been hiding this one...lol

Brittany

Valued Contributor

This looks so good , i am going to make this for this weekend for Jeff, Love it!!

Super Contributor

I prepared this last night and will bake it when I get home. Looks yummy - thanks so much! I used low fat sour cream and sprayed the top with butter spray rather than the extra 1/4 cup of butter.