Honored Contributor

Re: Hearty Italian Sausage soup - delicious and easy

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This sounds great, I've got some turkey Italian sausage in the freezer, I just need to buy spinach and some more stock. I will definitely make it this week.

I did make it today, and it was delicious !  I added a few more veggies and a splash of vinegar at the end, thanks for the recipe. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoveMyBaby 

I made your soup tonight. It was tasty & perfect for a chilly damp evening. I used the diced italian tomatoes, they had garlic/oregano/basil seasoning but next time I'm going to just use crushed tomatoes. Also I wasn't sure how much baby spinach to use but tried 2 & 1/2 cups and that was perfect. I also added a couple of teaspoons of chicken boullion as the chicken stock I bought (College Inn) was kind of bland. Glad I gave it a try and will make it again when there is going to be more than just 2 of us. The recipe made a lot, going to put some aside for myself for tomorrow's dinner and try freezing the rest.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thank you for posting, OP.

I've never had sausage soup, but tonight's menu at our house is a version of it that I posted on this month's recipe thread. What a coincidence!

You're welcome @house_cat 

I tried finding your recipe but couldn't locate it, but I did find a recipe in the search for an Italian Peasant (soup or stew - can't remember which) that sounded really good and very similar. 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@LoveMyBaby 

I made your soup tonight. It was tasty & perfect for a chilly damp evening. I used the diced italian tomatoes, they had garlic/oregano/basil seasoning but next time I'm going to just use crushed tomatoes. Also I wasn't sure how much baby spinach to use but tried 2 & 1/2 cups and that was perfect. I also added a couple of teaspoons of chicken boullion as the chicken stock I bought (College Inn) was kind of bland. Glad I gave it a try and will make it again when there is going to be more than just 2 of us. The recipe made a lot, going to put some aside for myself for tomorrow's dinner and try freezing the rest.

@shaggygirl 

Hi, oh good, glad you tried it and liked it. I also like that you put your own twist on it. 

Now, personally for me, turkey Italian sausage doesn't have the same rich taste as a pork Italian sausage, but if you're doing that for a healthy version that's cool. Try it sometime with pork (mild or fennel) Italian sausage, so good. Did you use the Chicken broth or chicken stock? Some broths can be too bland for my taste, so in recipes I always use stock. I do recall salting mine too. 

Its an easy recipe to tweak. Thx for the feedback. ♥️

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby 

Actually I've never tried turkey sausage. That was indoorkitty who mentioned having turkey sausage on hand. I use sweet Italian pork sausage :-)

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@LoveMyBaby 

Actually I've never tried turkey sausage. That was indoorkitty who mentioned having turkey sausage on hand. I use sweet Italian pork sausage :-)

Oops (TY) 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby 

I made the soup tonight with more veggies - 4 carrots and a cup of peas

it was delish an so easy - a definite keeper

thank you again for posting

Esteemed Contributor

Made your soup today, @LoveMyBaby  - delish!Woman Happy