Trusted Contributor

Healthy quinoa recipes

[ Edited ]
Have any favorites? I just bought some at Costco....want to incorporate in into my diet 2 times a week. I made it with chicken broth and spices as a side dish last night. Rinsed it real good as was told prior to cooking. It was OK. Just rather bland.
Esteemed Contributor

Here's a recipe I like.  (I made some notes for myself in parentheses, adjustments I made to my taste)

Rio Grande Quinoa & Corn

Prep time:  15 minutes

Cooking time:  15 minutes

3 tablespoons lemon juice   (I use 1)

3 tablespoons olive oil (I use 1)

3 tablespoons minced cilantro or parsley  (I use parsley – always use fresh)

Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 cup fresh or frozen corn  ( I use 2/3 cup)

½ cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly  (I use a bit more)

½ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted (I use a full teaspoon.  You can toast them my spreading them on a cookie sheet and putting them in the oven for a few minutes – until you smell them.  It brings out the flavor.)

1 cup cooked black beans

1 medium tomato, diced

3 tablespoons minced red onion

1. To make dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper and set aside.
  2. Bring 1 ½ cups water to boil in a small saucepan and add corn: reduce heat and simmer until corn is tender.  Drain corn, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
  3. Return cooking liquid to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and cumin: cover and simmer about 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove quinoa and set aside.  Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to a salad bowl; cool slightly.
  4. Add corn, black beans, tomato and onion to quinoa. Toss with dressing and chill.

Honored Contributor

DiAnne posted this on recipe swap a while ago.  I have made it several times using Quinoa instead of rice and it is FANTASTIC!  Finally got DH to eat quinoa with this recipe!

I use the multi color quinoa from Trader Joe's.

CALYPSO RICE
Good with barbecued meat, chicken or fish!
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup rice **SUB QUINOA IF DESIRED**
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 t turmeric (leave out or sub curry or dry mustard)
1/2 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a med saucepan bring broth and juice to a boil over high heat.
Stir in remaining ingredients except parsley.
Reduce heat to low and cook covered to about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Toss rice with fork and sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Honored Contributor

Carol1229 found this recipe on another site and shared it with us.  It is also delicious!   *I didn't use the avocado

Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley

1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 medium avocado, diced
DRESSING:
Juice from 1 large lime
1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
For the dressing, combine lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder and turmeric in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake well until combined. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the salad, in a large bowl, gently stir together the black beans, quinoa, corn, red pepper, mango, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno and avocado until well mixed.
Drizzle the dressing over top; toss lightly until combined.
Cover and refrigerate until serving time. 6 servings

Regular Contributor
I make "Spanish Rice " with it. I substitute it for the rice. Works great. Also eat it in the morning with cinnamon and a little flax oil/meal, It is high in protein so good way to start the morning. I also add it to my chicken soup. Here are a couple salad ideas:
1. Edamame ( buy mine at Trader Joes) with whatever salad dressing you like or just olive oil. Add in cooked quinoa. Simlple, fast and good for you. Course you can add anything else you might want to throw in.
2. Chop up kale, cilantro, and a couple green onions. I find that the finer the chop the better. Season with champagne dressing, Add in cooked room temperature quinoa.
3. Albaney posted a healthy quinoa "Almond Joy" substitute on her blog back in April or May. I don't have it with me, but basically it is almonds, coconut flakes, dark chocolate, dates and quinoa. Place each separately in a food processor. Do the dates last. When the dates form a ball, add in the already processed coconut and almonds. Finally add in cooked quinoa. Roll into small bars. I make a small well in center and place a piece of dark chocolate. Think the first time I made them I melted the chocolate and drizzled on top. I can not remember what Albaney did. It is a great snack, filling and with the quinoa provides protein. You will have to play with the amounts . I always add extra quinoa and use a little less dates, and unsweetened coconut and chocolate to make it
even healthier😀