Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having a serious baking problem since we moved to Oregon.

@Newgate wrote:

Could be altitude if you are high! 

When we go to the mountains my pancakes never turn golden brown! Woman Happy

@Newgate

We moved from sea level to 50 feet above sea level, so this is not an issue.

Am going to take Kachina's advice and contact product manufacturers.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative, good luck and let us know what you find out.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative, what other things have you baked that have tanked?

I cannot fathom baking SODA becoming dysfunctional. Baking POWDER, of course, which is why I make my own if I need it since I only bake once every 5 years or so.

I read the original thread and wondered if this response from someone might give you  a clue about what's going on.

After having done so, I made the cake, but this time used gluten free flour for the first time.  The outcome was a rubber cake that rose only 1/2 the expected amount. Another poster indicated the same had happened to her using a/p flour, so I became concerned, because I had copied your recipe into a Word document and thought I might have made a transcription error.  I'm glad to see that I didn't.  Seems the gluten free flour is uber heavy for this recipe (I was wondering if it would be), so will take measures next time to see if I can have a better outcome.

Respected Contributor

Hi @ sfnative! II am so glad you are here! I have missed you!

I do not have an answer for you, but somewhere I remember reading that historically, it was a problem getting anything to rise using conventional leavening.....which is why sour dough became en vogue in the Great Northwest. It was, above all else, reliable where nothing else was...

I am curious, have you ever asked Canadian bakers on that side of the country what their secrets are?

I am just saying this, but the people of The Weather Channel are scientists....maybe they can explain what is happening?????

Glad you are back!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@sfnative I reccommend that you go to a local bakery and expalin your problem.  Surely they would understand the issue and how to fix it.  Portland is a diverse area, so there sould be someone at the bakery that isn't from there, that may have experienced this problem.  Good luck with your baking journey.

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Hi @ sfnative! II am so glad you are here! I have missed you!

I do not have an answer for you, but somewhere I remember reading that historically, it was a problem getting anything to rise using conventional leavening.....which is why sour dough became en vogue in the Great Northwest. It was, above all else, reliable where nothing else was...

I am curious, have you ever asked Canadian bakers on that side of the country what their secrets are?

I am just saying this, but the people of The Weather Channel are scientists....maybe they can explain what is happening?????

Glad you are back!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

I've only spoken with my daughter who has experience as a pastry chef.  She pretty much said that most everyone here, regardless of the manner in which they store flour, sode, baking powder and the like, must toss these items every 45 days.  I even keep my small stuff in sealed jars and my flour, sugar, etc., in thick plastic containers with a top that has a rubber gasket and clamps on all four sides for a good seal.

I've sort of given up on my system and am now going to do the every 45 days thing.

Honored Contributor

Use a thermometer to verify that your oven is heating properly.  Years ago I had a house with an electric range and oven.  I went through a period of months when nothing I baked turned out right. It was very discouraging.  It took me that long to realize that one of the filaments wasn't heating correctly.

~ house cat ~