Esteemed Contributor

Have you gotten rid of your cookbooks?

i have so many old cookbooks that I never look at.  Going through them I noticed that so many have outdated recipes such as using crisco, tons of butter, etc.  I don't know why I am having a hard time getting rid of them.  Do you still use your cookbooks?

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you gotten rid of your cookbooks?

I love cookbooks, even just to sit and look through them.  Maybe you can keep them and modify some of the more fattening recipes by using lower-fat substitutions.

Occasional Contributor

I am a cookbook nut, but am now critically evaluating whether or not I need so many.   Every time I go to discard/donate one, I flip through the recipes and remember making one or the other for family, etc. and put it back on the shelf.   Making slow progress here.    

Trusted Contributor

Just moved into a smaller place and am going through boxes, found two boxes packed with cookbooks, have sold a few over the years but never my "old" ones.  Love to go through them and can't part with them.  Love to read old recipes too.  It is probably an individual taste.  Up to you in the end.  I'll keep mine.

Honored Contributor

A couple of months ago, I went through and donated a ton of them.

There were a lot that were never used, not even for one recipe.

If others had keeper recipes in them, I would have written them down on a card and put it in the recipe box.

I really don't like to cook and they weren't something I would periodically go through so for me there was no point n having them around taking up space on the shelf.

Trusted Contributor

We have a small bookcase near the kitchen with 2 shelves & both are filled up with cookbooks. That being said, the recipes that are used most often are either kept online in a data base, or are printed out from Pinterest or another online recipe blog. Spouse has recently taken up smoking meat & so has a few newer books related to this topic. I am planning on keeping my Grandmother's & my Mother's old Betty Crocker cookbooks (because of their handwritten notes). We eliminated about 2 dozen cookbooks when we did the remodeling & others are gradually being weeded out as we lay our hands on them. Will be donated either to the local library for their book sale, Goodwill, or in some cases, just tossed. I also have some on recipe cards in a wooden box that my Daddy hand carved for me. Again, those are gradually being tossed as I go through them. I find that most are never used. Those written by my ancestors will be kept, of course.

Respected Contributor

No way.  I'm still buying them.  I have hundreds and probably close to 100 e cookbooks.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I have gotten rid of most of my cookbooks.  I donated 35 or more.

I kept the ones for the small appliances.  I kept the Polish and Russian cookbook, and DH's Justin Wilson Cajun and a wild game cookbook.   I really rarely use the ones that I kept.

Honored Contributor

No. I have a whole bookcase full of cookbooks. I don't buy many like I used to. There are so many recipes online I can pretty much find anything I'm looking for. I also have the Kindle PC App & can download free cookbooks off Amazon to my desktop.

Honored Contributor

i do cull on occasion, i donate those to the library, i have 400+ cookbooks at the moment

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval