Honored Contributor

Re: Have a chicken pieces, green pepper, mushroom over noodles recipe?

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@momtochloe

I didn't realize both recipes were from the same blogger.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh @VaBelle35 I appreciate anyone that opens up a new and interesting blog/website like this as I think it may just break me of my horrible cook book buying addiction . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Have a chicken pieces, green pepper, mushroom over noodles recipe?

[ Edited ]

This might not be exactly what you're asking for, but it's a big-quantity  recipe that can be made ahead  and refrigerated before baking....and you can probably  improvise and embellish  it in many ways.  In my opinion (and in my kitchen), you could

-- add your own preferred vegetables  (green peppers, peas, carrots, etc.)

-- substitute fresh ingredients for some of the convenience ones listed in recipe

--increase the quantity of sauce  by adding another cream soup (celery maybe) and/or some sour cream or milk, which would enable you to serve it as a sauce over noodles, instead of topping the dish with mashed potatoes.  I have made similar dishes and prefer to top with buttered panko crumbs, crushed herb dressing, or crushed potato chips.

CHICKEN ALMOND PARTY BAKE FOR A CROWD

Serves 10  to 12

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

2 (7-oz.) cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained (or use sauteed fresh ones)

3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth

6 cups cooked chicken

1 cup blanched slivered almonds

1/2 cup chopped pimiento

2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes

1 tablespoon instant minced onion

1 teaspoon salt

To be topped with tablespoon-sized  dollops of your own mashed potato recipe or an instant or  store-bought version.

If using instant mashed potatoes., prepare as follows...........

Potato Topping

2 cups water

1/4 cup butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

3 cups Pillsbury Hungry Jack Mashed Potato Flakes

1 egg

Heat water, butter and salt to boiling in saucepan.  Remove from heat.  Add milk, stir in potato flakes with fork just until moistened.  Let stand until liquid is absorbed (about 1/2 minute).  Add egg and blend well.

For casserole:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine soups, mushrooms, chicken, wine, 3/4 cup almonds, pimiento, parsley, onion and salt in 3-quart baking dish.  Drop potato toppping by tablespoonfuls on the filling.  Sprinkle with remaining almonds.  Bake 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes (or, if it has been prepared ahead and refrigerated, bake 60-70 minutes).