Trusted Contributor

Have a Question about Strawberry Freezer Jam

The recipe says to "Place tops on the containers, and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer, and store frozen until ready to use."

Where do you "leave for 24 hours"?  In the refrigerator, on the counter, or where?

TIA.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Have a Question about Strawberry Freezer Jam

The jam needs to sit on the counter for 24 hours before it goes into the freezer.   

Respected Contributor

On the counter.  I let them sit a bit before I put the tops on because the mixture is so hot and I don't want the condensation.

You will never go back to store jam again!  I use the less sugar sure jell and can't believe how good it comes out - just like eating fresh from the field strawberries!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies.  I had to go to the store to get some jars and sure-jell, so I'm off to the kitchen now to make my strawberry jam.  

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have a recipe they are using?  I'd love to try it.

I know I could google it, but prefer to get one that has been successful!

My DH loves jams and I just read all the ingredients in the store bought jars...ugh

and was wondering...are you ladies freezing in Ball Glass Canning jars or Tupperware/L&L?

TIA

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife - here is the one I use, it's from the directions inside the sure jell box for reduced sugar: 

Low Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam
Strawberry Jam is quick and easy to make and pop in the freezer  

Ingredients
4 pints strawberries, cleaned, hulled and crushed to make 4 cups  
3 cups of sugar
1 package of Sure Jell Pectin For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes

1 cup of water
Instructions
1. Have glass or plastic containers ready to be filled. Need six one cup or 3 one pint containers.
2. Prepare fruit, using potato masher or something similar to crush berries.
3. Measure exact amount of prepared fruit into bowl.
4. Measure exact amount of sugar into large pan.
5. Stir 1 box Sure-Jell for Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Fruit Pectin into sugar.
6. Add water, stir constantly over medium heat until mixture reaches boil.
7. Continue stirring and boil for one minute and remove from heat
8. Stir fruit into pectin sugar mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed, at least one minute.
9. Pour into containers, leaving a 1⁄2 inch space at the top for expansion; cool, cover
10. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to three weeks or store in freezer for up to 1 year. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before using.
11. Recipe from package insert Sure-Jell for Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Fruit Pectin

84504D2B-39F7-418C-89B6-ACE6FA030C8A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Oh @HerRoyaLioness 

I can't thank you enough!

I am going to really look forward to trying this!

Greatly appreciated!