Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Started Planning Thanksgiving/Christmas Recipes?

@aroc3435 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   Thank you.  Glad the Antipasto Squares recipe might work for you.  If I do start another thread for appetizers down the road I'll try to avoid making it seasonal or holiday specific so as not to turn off fellow forum members who don't like thinking as far ahead as some others of us do.

I'm constantly looking for new seasonings or ingredients for standard recipes.  Sometimes the classics just can't be improved but once in a while someone does come up with a new spin that tickles the taste buds.

And I really do recommend searching the older recipe threads.  I've gotten lots of ideas from generous people that used to post but don't anymore for a variety of reasons.

@aroc3435 Your recipes always sound so good. I wish I had the energy to still cook like that. I need to hire someone to cook my meals. Yeah! I’ll keep dreaming.😄

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I know it's early, but today I started thinking about party appetizers for a recurring Christmas party we attend. I think it's because I'll be retiring in November and will have more time to pay attention to holiday entertaining. I'm really looking forward to it!

I already replied to this thread once, but here I am again....This past weekend was Mothers day. For some reason, my family, mom, sisters have started waiting till last minute.

DH and I ended up getting a huge thing of bbq pork, and everyone brought sides. I made the three desserts that I always make, strawberry cake, coconut delight and a choc pecan pie.

I say that to say this, for someone like me, it just might be a good idea to start planning, at least come up with some different recipes. I make the same thing every holiday. I think its a good idea, @PA Mom-mom .

Respected Contributor

@Ketra Why, I thank you.  If we were not "cyberspace" neighbors I would be happy to come by and cook for you, anytime.  

I have been cooking for forty-eight years so I can almost go on "auto pilot" to get the meals done.  I was only allowed to "observe" in my Mom's kitchen while growing up.  She was a "one man band" and didn't want any help.  

So, in college I reveled in using the dormitory kitchen to really start to learn how to prepare a decent meal for myself and friends.  Cafeteria meals were boring and sometimes not very good despite the caf ladies doing their best with an assuredly slim budget.  

I don't have as much "get up and go" as I used to either, so no worries.

Trusted Contributor

Early??  No, it's not even "appropriate" to discuss this.  Good Lord - we are JUST starting Spring.  Who thinks about Thanksgiving/Christmas in the Spring?  Not normal people, that's for sure!