Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Started Planning Thanksgiving/Christmas Recipes?

DH says,"get a life".

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

DH says,"get a life".

@Group 5 minus 1  Please tell your DH, thanks very much, but I'm pretty sure I have a very busy life. A favorite part of my life, however, is thinking of new and interesting ideas for the holiday meals I prepare for my siblings, children and grandchildren. Due to the distance between our homes, we can only get together as a group at holidays. 

Respected Contributor

Of course not please let me enjoy summer. That is always cut short with Christmas in July. I don't want to think about Christmas/Thanksgiving until fall.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom   Atta girl!  I am really amazed at the amount of put downs that have popped up in this thread.  Seems those that are so Very involved in  enjoying the Now still have time to condemn your question.  Me?  I'm not planning yet but I am Always on the lookout for a recipie that would be fun to try for the holidays.

CARRY ON!

Respected Contributor

@candys mine @PA Mom-mom I agree--carry on!  Here is an appetizer recipe that can be used all year.

Antipasto Squares

2 packages of crescent rolls          1/4 lb. provolone cheese

1/4 lb. Swiss cheese, sliced thin.  1/4 lb. pepperoni, sliced thin

1/4 lb. hard salami, sliced thin.    14 0z. red roasted peppers,well

drained

Cover with:

3 eggs, beaten.                                  3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

Line the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan with one pkg. of the cresent rolls, so that seams are joined and come up the sides. Layer the fillings interspersing the sliced cheese and meat and ending with the Parmesan cheese and egg mixture which has been blended on top, letting it soak in a little to the layers below.  

Place the second can of crescent rolls, joined at the seams on top.  Cover lightly with non - stick aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  

Check after 15 mins.  Remove foil and brown if necessary for another 5 to 10 minutes.  (If using a glass--Pyrex or Anchor Hocking-- pan put in a preheated 325 degree oven instead.)  Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into small squares.

Notes:

You can vary the meat, cheese, and vegetable filling.  Use extremely well drained frozen spinach and/or artichokes packed in water instead of the peppers, for example, or sliced black or green olives from which the pits have been removed.

This is adapted by me from various similar recipes, including a Pillsbury winner--Patti Chiastri, of West Haven, CT in 2004, or some others from the All Recipes website, and others found online.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Absolutely not!

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435  THANK YOU!!  That'll be Great for a Lot of occasions.  Just the kind of recipie I'm Looking for!  ( and it's only May so take THAT naysayers! ) ; )

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Thank you for the kind words.  As time permits I'll peruse my files and see if I can come up with any other appetizers that are a little different.  Tomorrow the weather here in DC is supposed to be all rain all day and into Monday as well.

If you use the search feature here and type in UPCOMING FALL & WINTER HOLIDAY 2018 APPETIZERS that I started you will find a thread I started  on October 26, 2018 that has a total of eight posts and good recipes provided by others, and a couple by me.

I've always loved to cook and I like playing around with recipes after I follow one faithfully the first itme I use it.

And I enjoy the recipes forum so much and its faithful followers and posters.  I've found and used a lot of recipes here when I was just a "lurker"  long before I gathered the courage to be an active poster.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435  Thanks for posting the great appetizer recipe! It sounds like something I would want to take to a Christmas sing-along we attend every year. I'll check out your other thread too! Perhaps you should continue it this year!

Esteemed Contributor

No!! I prefer to live in the present. Life is too short. I froze all winter to finally get to Summer. I’m going to hang on to every last bit of it. 😎⚾️🍺☀️🏝