Esteemed Contributor

Have You Heard of the Miracle Berry?

It was a question on Jeopardy tonight. I never heard of it. It makes sour foods sweet. I'm not sure why you would want that. Unless you are trying to trick people, it doesn't make sense. Perhaps it could be used to mitigate the taste of some medications?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have You Heard of the Miracle Berry?

@PA Mom-mom. I watched  Jeopardy tonight, and  like you, I never heard of the Miracle berry.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

I believe they are tablets sold on Amazon etc.?

Trusted Contributor

That;s where I heard of it also-- on Jeopardy!  I wonder if it could be used to make sour grapes sweet-- I hate when I buy grapes and they are not sweet!

Esteemed Contributor

I hadn't heard of it, either, so I looked it up; here's an interesting excerpt from the "History" section for the miracle berry on Wikipedia:

In the 1970s in the USA, an attempt was made to commercialize the fruit for its ability to turn unsweet foods into sweet foods without a caloric penalty, but ended in failure when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classified the berry as a food additive. There were controversial circumstances with accusations that the project was sabotaged and the research files stolen by the sugar industry to prevent loss of business caused by a drop in demand for sugar. However, the FDA has denied receiving any pressure from the sugar industry. Arguments similar to the ones used for this classification were used for the FDA's regulation on stevia now labeled as a "dietary supplement" instead of a "sweetener."

(See the Wikipedia page for the sources of these statements.)

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc Very interesting info!

Trusted Contributor

We got some tablets to try. It made lemons sweet. It was a fun experiment but it alters the tastebuds for awhile making everything taste different. I didn't like that part.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22@Did it have an after taste?Could it be used in baking.I often wonder if heating some things could change their compositions.

Trusted Contributor

@dex

Yeah, I guess you could say it had an aftertaste. I'm not sure about ways to use it. I only tried the tablets but I would be interested in trying the actual berry.

Respected Contributor

I was at a party about 12 years ago and we  all tried it there- it was a very interesting experiment, and yes it really works!