Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Made Chicken Stew?

@On It wrote:

@rockygems123 That looks absolutely wonderful. I know you will enjoy. It is right in our wheelhouse, but I have never made chicken stew. I have a feeling this won't be your last time.

@On It 

Yes so good really enjoyed it  Smiley Happy  Last night was the 2nd time I made it in a week. Had the leftovers tonight even better!

Didnt have to cook for anyone else tonight as my son is going out so it was perfect.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123.  I'd add some steamed, fluffy dumplings to the top after cooking is finished as I also do to beef stew.  Really makes it "special" and so easy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 

Looks good and reminds me of a chicken stew I made in the crockpot. 

I prefer skinless boneless chicken thighs.  I used sliced onion, celery, carrots and a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup.  A few quartered potatoes can be added, sliced mushrooms are good.  A splash of wine helps.  At the end I thickened with some Wondra flour stirred in and added some frozen peas.  Good over rice if you want it more filling.

Valued Contributor

I've always thought of my chicken with fluffy dumplings as a chicken stew.  I also make what my mother referred to as stewed chicken which is simply braised chicken with onions and make gravy out of the juice when it's done cooking.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rockygems123.  I'd add some steamed, fluffy dumplings to the top after cooking is finished as I also do to beef stew.  Really makes it "special" and so easy.

@Kachina624 

That sounds delicious and something I grew up with as my dad was from North Carolina.

Do you use canned biscuits and cut them into smaller pieces or something else?

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123.  No, no canned biscuits.  The recipe is so simple you can make it in minutes.  This came with my old MiroMatic pressure cooker but there's no pressure cooking involved in making dumplings, just a big pot with a lid.  They're delish.

Screenshot_20231231_225210_PDF Reader.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Carmie Your dish sounds lovely.  I prefer a tomato base.  University dining hall ruined me for anything in a white sauce.  That's where they hid the leftovers!!!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rockygems123.  No, no canned biscuits.  The recipe is so simple you can make it in minutes.  This came with my old MiroMatic pressure cooker but there's no pressure cooking involved in making dumplings, just a big pot with a lid.  They're delish.

Screenshot_20231231_225210_PDF Reader.jpg

@Kachina624 

Oh thank you!  I will make them next time I make the chicken stew or soup.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The recipe I use for chicken and dumplings is kind of stew like--minus the dumplings of course and it is thick and very tasty.  It has onions,  carrots and celery in it--sometimes I add broccoli and mushrooms. and of course chickenWoman Wink The sauce is very good--I put a smidge of nutmeg in it as well as a touch of sherry. My DD isn't a fan of the dumplings so I make a chicken pot pie out of it. She doesn't like any type of "stews" either---weird!!!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, those are the exact same ingredients my mother always used when she made dumplings, and you're right - they're delicious. I use that same recipe - that's the only way to make dumplings for me!