Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried Rao's soup?

A store by me is featuring them on sale starting next week so I plan to grab a couple of jars (they come in jars instead of a can).  I like an occasional bowl of soup so this is perfect for me but I was wondering if anyone had tried them and had some ideas which one they prefer?  I am going to start with their chicken noodle and Italian wedding soup.  I love their sauces so I am sure the soups will be a hit too.

Many thanks my friends!

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Rao's soup?

@momtochloe Good morning. I haven't tried any of their soups but as you, we love their sauces. We buy the sauces at Costco (2 pack, large jars) because, they have the best prices. I haven't looked for their soups so if you do try them, please let me know. I used to make their Lemon Chicken recipe but I haven't made it for years, probably about 15 or so. It was sooooo good. Ill keep an eye out for their soups. As you said, they must be pricey but most likely really good.

Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Hi @Coquille !  Yes I was surprised to see the soups in my local Meijer ad so I am going to jet over there next week.  I did some snooping around and apparently they just launched their soup line at the beginning of October and according to this article they are available at many stores including Walmart:

https://www.thekitchn.com/raos-soups-reviews-22953698

Hmmmm, I didn't know Costco carried their sauces.  I'll have to look if they have the one I love (the Italian sausage and mushroom).  Thanks for the heads up!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

Hi @Coquille !  Yes I was surprised to see the soups in my local Meijer ad so I am going to jet over there next week.  I did some snooping around and apparently they just launched their soup line at the beginning of October and according to this article they are available at many stores including Walmart:

https://www.thekitchn.com/raos-soups-reviews-22953698

Hmmmm, I didn't know Costco carried their sauces.  I'll have to look if they have the one I love (the Italian sausage and mushroom).  Thanks for the heads up!

@momtochloe  Our Costco only carries the Vodka or the Marinara Sauces. My husnband's a vanilla/chocolate kind of guy so he's happy with the Marinara. I buy the other sauces in the stores.  Thanks for the link. I'm going to target, walmart, T Joes and Costco this week so I'm armed and dangerous and on the lookout for all the cranberry, pumpkin cakes, tarts, cookies and  chips I can find. I already loaded up on T Joes pumpkin Biscotti. When they're in the house, they constantly call my name. I eat them like water coming out of a tap, I dunk them and they are oh so good. I bought 10 boxes and they're just for me. My husband likes their maple cookies but they're too sweet for me.

Take care.

Just looked up the site. $4.00 or even $4.99 isn't bad. Around here it's a lot more. They look really yummy. Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

I can’t wait to try them. Love the sauces and stock up when on sale.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I am a Rao's fan!  I use their sauces, pasta and canned tomatoes.  I was so happy to see soups!

Yeah - not so much.  I tried the tomato basil and was not impressed.

Too strong a taste that I could not identify.

SO.....I won't be trying the other flavors.

Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  I read an article on thekitchen.com re the soups but I'm having a problem posting the site here. Anyway, From what I remember, they raved about the soups. Then I read another article from a different site, saying the Chicken and the Gnocci were not that good. 

I tried calling my Walmart to see if they carry the soups but they NEVER answer. I'm never thrilled about going there because they rarely have what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to get there either this or next week. Hopefully, one of us or someone else will find them. They can be ordered online but forget that.

Have a good night and stay well.

Honored Contributor

Good morning @Coquille and all you folks that were kind enough to respond.  I just returned from Meijer (a chain that is based in MI but has stores in IL, think Walmart SuperStore/Target) and I was able to grab four jars of their soup:

• Chicken noodle (today's cuisine)
  • Chicken and Gnocci
  • Italian Wedding Soup
  • Pasta ******ioli

The sale just started on Sunday and the shelf is already 75% empty so I am very lucky I was able to purchase the ones I wanted.  I will let you folks know how lunch went later on today.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Honored Contributor

Ok, here is my review on the Rao's Chicken Noodle soup:

EXCELLENT.  Oh goodness so full of flavor and lots of good size pieces of chicken.  I intended to make the jar a two serving meal but unfortunately that did not happen today . . . Smiley LOL

Next up will be the Italian Wedding soup (my mom would have loved it).  Smiley Happy

These soups are just white-labeled versions of the same generic soups you've already eaten under many different names and franchises, only pricier and in nicer packaging and finished with a prettier label.

The chicken noodle and the Italian wedding soups are the same tired soups you've had a million times before. Rao's ain't cooking nothing here. They are just buying a mass produced product, putting it in a sauce jar, and then slapping their label on it. Cha-ching, cha-ching for all of that.

That being said, the soups are still very good, even if completely familiar.

Chris