Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone made Mary Berry's "OPERA CAKE?"

[ Edited ]

Calling all bakers!

I just adore Mary Berry  (on BBC's "Great British Bake...) and especially enjoy the "master classes" she and Paul Hollywood developed for the viewing audience.  Though I've been baking and cooking for a loooooong time and once owned a small commerical bakery, I'm always on the lookout for something special to serve at a major holiday dinner.

With Easter coming up, I immediately thought of Mary Berry's "Opera Cake," which I recently saw her make in a master class and am wondering if any of you have made it.  Though I plan to nix the alcohol in the recipe and use simple sugar with a tic of lemon, so my granddaughter can enjoy it as well, I'm looking for feedback from those who have made the cake.

I'm aware that the cake is a bit tedious, but don't mind that one bit.  Hope to hear from a few folks.  Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone made Mary Berry's "OPERA CAKE?"

@sfnative,Can you give us the recipe?  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG

My granddaughter is wrapping up her nap, then gets picked up by her Mom.  After all is settled down, I'll get to it and have it posted for you some time this evening.  (I'm in Portland, OR now, so am Pacific Time.)

Esteemed Contributor

Love this show - watching now.

Pleas post pics when your done.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG

My granddaughter is wrapping up her nap, then gets picked up by her Mom.  After all is settled down, I'll get to it and have it posted for you some time this evening.  (I'm in Portland, OR now, so am Pacific Time.)

Opera Cake - Mary Berry.png

Image courtesy BBC and Mary Berry.

Recipe courtesy of Mary Berry and BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/opera_cake_04536

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG@hopi

Please see photo of cake and link to recipe below in my previous entry.  Was unable to create separate entry with that information for some reason.  Enjoy!

Rebecca

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Hi @sfnative! I love that show! DH doesn't like cooking shows, but we watch that one.

I am a decent home baker, but I am so intimidated by Mary's exacting judgment, and the contestants skill, I am absolutely too intimidated to try anything from that show.

I have done some piping once: suffice it to say, message to our local bakers? Don't worry about competition from me!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

For anyone that bakes this cake, it will get "wet" if not eaten within hours of completion.

The custard like filling will absorb into the sponge and you will be quite disappointed with a wet cake.

Almond sponge, custard like filling and chocolate with strawberries, what's not to love.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling, Tres Leches Cake is one of my all time favorites: nothing beats a slice of cold Tres Leches! I would adore Mary's cake.....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@sfnative@, II didn't realize you live in Oregon!  Will you be able to see the solar eclipse on Aug. 21

To celebrate, I think you should make either a "Black Out" cake or "Black Forest" cake!

...planning ahead is important here!

Poodlepet2