Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone made Green Bean Casserole from scratch?

Here is another green bean recipe that I like, that I will share with you here.

It's from Del Monte's website, and calls for canned green beans which I have used in the recipe.

Frying the canned beans in the recipe crisps them up a bit in my opinion.

Here is the recipe:

Del Monte's Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Beans

Brown sugar and red pepper flakes add a sweet-heat kick that everyone will ask for again and again. Double the recipe to make plenty.

Serves 6 Prep time 5 min. Cook time 15 min.

Ingredients:

6 slices bacon [or turkey bacon]

2 cans (14.5oz.ea.) Del Monte® Cut Green Beans, well drained

2 Tbsps. packed dark brown sugar

¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes

Directions:
  1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels. Drain all but 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings.

2. Return skillet to medium-high heat; add beans, sugar and red pepper flakes. Cook 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

3. Top beans with crumbled bacon before serving.

NOTES:

If using turkey bacon, add 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in Step 2.

Recipe may be doubled. For best browning results, cook beans in two batches before topping with bacon.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Made from a scratch or cans = yuck!

@Kachina624 LOL!!!  We made it once when I was a kid and nobody liked it, so we went back to just green beans.

We always tried for fresh with ham in them.  But in a pinch we'd have canned ones--those big flat ones that Allen company cans.  They are pretty good--and with all the other stuff they are fine!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner.  My son, who wasn't much of an eater, absolutely loved that green bean casserole.  He liked it so much he'd buy the ingredients and make it and eat it himself

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Sahmam, I make the Alton Brown homemade version every year  - it is wonderful!  I admit that his onion rings are a pain to make and mine are usually burnt or soggy!  I have't seen the PW onions recipe so thanks for that tip.  

The fresh green beans, fresh mushroom 'gravy' make all the difference in the flavor of the casserole to me.  I won't go near any condensed soup recipe.  The level of sodium and other 'things' in them just turns me off. 

Good luck with Alton's recipe.  I'm sure you'll love it.  

Trusted Contributor

I've tried making it healthier, fresher, etc. I am always left wanting the original, so I don't bother anymore. We don't eat this often, so not that big a deal that it's not that great for you. Although, a few of the variations listed here do sound good. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is my favorite green bean casserole (updated from my grandma's recipe):

2 lbs green beans cut into 1" pieces

3 tbsp butter

1 lb chopped baby bella mushrooms

1/4 tsp dried thyme

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup milk

Topping:

1/2 cup panko crumbs

1 tbsp melted butter

2 1/2 cups French's fried onions

Make topping:  Stir together panko and butter.  Stir in onions.

Cook beans and 1/2 cup water in covered bowl in microwave for 7 minutes, stirring once.  Drain and place in greased 9x13" baking dish.

Melt butter in big skillet.  Stir in mushrooms, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper over medium heat for 6 minutes.  Stir in flour for a minute.  Slowly whisk in broth until smooth.  Whisk in cream and milk and simmer until thickened.

Pour sauce over beans and stir to mix.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle topping on beans and bake for 7 more minutes.  Cool 5 minutes before serving. 

Valued Contributor

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13050/cream-soup-base/ Make your own creamed soups, with no additives.
Occasional Contributor

Check laurainthekitchen website for her delicious and EASY greenbean casserole made from scatch.