Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever made or tasted chow-chow?

LOVE chow chow..My Dad used to make it ..I have found  product clled "Susan's Salsa Relish" that is similar and VERY good!

Honored Contributor

Wow, I cannot thank you all enough for all of your responses.  I really didn't think I would get many replies so I am thrilled and greatful for all of your knowledge sharing as like I said, this morning I had never even heard of it.

Thank you ladies, truly appreciated!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

The best chow chow I ever had is made by Cross and Blackwell. It's imported from England.

I grew up on it and you can still get it here in some stores.

We always had it with beef stew.

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

mtc...

Yes, I grew up with "chow-chow".  My Grandmother, was SLOVAK.  

Grandma, would make this every Fall.  She would "Can" it up and we would have it all winter long.  

Grandma, died in 1997 and I think that was the last time that I had it...Thanks for this wonderful memory. 

Honored Contributor

This sounds very similar to something my neighbor makes (she is from Toronto).  She calls it relish and says you cannot buy here (Seattle area).  I have a small jar of it and I know it has cabbage in it and tastes a little like a bread and butter pickle.  They use it on hot dogs and put some into mayo to make tarter sauce.  

Honored Contributor

My great aunt made chow chow.  

What I loved was her tomato chutney.  Tomatoes, green pepper, and onions cooked until it was like jam but slightly thinner.