Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever made or tasted chow-chow?

I had never even heard of this condiment until this morning when both Bobby Flay and Demaris used it in back to back shows.  I copied Demaris' recipe for it:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/finalist-damaris-phillips/chow-chow.html

It looks kind of interesting but I would like to know if you are familiar with it, do you use it a lot and on what types of things could this be added to?

Any thoughts or experiences shared will be greatly appreciated! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever made or tasted chow-chow?

That's not the Chow-Chow I grew up eating,I believe that condiment is of eastern european origin. My aunt was famous for her chow -chow and she made it with with beans, onions, garlic and cruciferous veggies in a sweet and sour brine. Chow -chow is available preserved and we can buy it locally where I live.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a relish. The Amish make it a lot. My grandmother was from a farm in Germany and she made it too (which makes sense since the Amish are descended from Germans).

It was a way to use up green tomatoes at the end of the summer. They are combined with cabbage (another late crop) and sweet and sour ingredients and spices.

It can be used with sausages, pork, sandwiches, etc. - anything where cole slaw or cabbage might taste good.

Pardon my earlier typos!!!

Respected Contributor

Through the years I have tried a lot of different ones that people have made and I just never cared for it. I don't like the tangy flavor of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've made chow chow!  It is a pickled vegetable relish and there are as many different recipes as there are people who make it.  

My recipe was tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and a lot of seasoning.  We really liked it.  Especially as a side with greens.

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe  If you want to taste a good Chow Chow without the trouble of making it (or mooching some from a friend who does) look at your grocer's for Braswell's "Mild Chow Chow."  If it isn't distributed in your area, you may be able to find it online.  (Here it's on a shelf near peanut butters and jellies -- Braswell's also makes a good Jalapeno Pepper Jelly.)

In the South we eat it alongside field peas and other vegetables as a relish (or pickle).  The Braswell's label says:  Suggested Uses:  Wonderful to add to meat, stews, or vegetable dishes.  Mix a little in your favorite biscuit mix for a delicious change.

Ingredients are:  Cabbage, cane sugar, distilled vinegar, water, red bell peppers, onion, salt, paprika, cayenne, celery seeds, and mustard seeds.

Honored Contributor

My mother's used to make it when I was a child.  I remember corn, peppers, onions and beans.  It was made with vinegar and sugar and spices.

I see it sold locally at our markets, but never buy it. It is a kind of relish.

Honored Contributor

I live in southern West Virginia, and the chow-chow recipe we make is usually made at the end of the summer with the last of the garden veggies.   It is sometimes referred to as garden relish.   We make it in a large batch to can, not a small dish for dinner.   

The recipe I prefer is hot and spicy with hand chopped white cabbage, onions, carrots, red, green and hot peppers, with a dressing of vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and pickling spices.   We do not use green tomatoes or cucumbers in our chow-chow, but do make another relish with cucumbers and onions.   

I mainly eat chow-chow with beans and cornbread, and straight out of the jar.   

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@momtochloe  If you want to taste a good Chow Chow without the trouble of making it (or mooching some from a friend who does) look at your grocer's for Braswell's "Mild Chow Chow."  If it isn't distributed in your area, you may be able to find it online.  (Here it's on a shelf near peanut butters and jellies -- Braswell's also makes a good Jalapeno Pepper Jelly.)

In the South we eat it alongside field peas and other vegetables as a relish (or pickle).  The Braswell's label says:  Suggested Uses:  Wonderful to add to meat, stews, or vegetable dishes.  Mix a little in your favorite biscuit mix for a delicious change.

Ingredients are:  Cabbage, cane sugar, distilled vinegar, water, red bell peppers, onion, salt, paprika, cayenne, celery seeds, and mustard seeds.

@Honeybit I am very (and fondly) familiar with Braswell's products.  They are the best but around here I can only find them at Homegoods (I am obsessed with their jars).  If I ever see Chow-Chow show up in our store I'm going to scoop it up in a heartbeat!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe  I'm sitting here laughing at myself because with the jar sitting on the computer desk right in front of my nose I just noticed for the first time that the label says "Braswell's of Georgia" with the "of Georgia" in tiny print.  All this time and I never noticed that second line.