Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever made lumpias?

These are a Filipino version of egg rolls that a friend used to bring to work and they were delicious.  I would love to give them a try but after looking through several recipes I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you cook the filling before stuffing and rolling them or do you leave the filling raw and let the deep fry cook the ingredients?
  2. Can you use egg roll wrappers as I am not sure I will be able to find lumpia wrappers in my area?
  3. They say you can freeze them before you cook them (which would be great for me as it makes way too many for me to eat on my own).  If you do freeze them, do you cook the filling beforehand and then pop them into a fryer once thawed or do you go the uncooked filling route?

Many and sincere thanks for anyone that has any experience with these delicious rolls!

Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever made lumpias?

Have made lumpia many times.  To all your questions, the answer is yes.  Lumpia wrappers turn brown quickly, so it depends if your freezing them or frying right away.  Vegetables and shrimp mixture may be raw, since it doesn't take long to completely fry/cook from frozen or fresh state.  I freeze mine with pre-cooked beef or pork, and vegetables are raw, then roll-up with lumpia wrappers and freeze..  When frying from frozen, lumpias (pork or beef) may not get thoroughly cooked, so I always pre-cook my beef or pork.  When frying from freshly made, raw meat filling is ok. 

Egg roll wrappers can be used, then these are not really lumpias.  Lumpia wrappers are more crispy and delicate, and turn brown quickly. 

So it all depends, on the type of filling and if freezing.  Test both ways to find out what works best for you.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to make lumpia frequently when my late husband (a Filipino) was alive.  

Actually, this post made my daughter say, "You haven't made lumpia in a long time!"

I don't have an exact recipe, but can tell you how I used to make them.

.............................................................................................................................

You need:

ground pork

small shrimp (or chopped larger shrimp) 

shredded sweet potatoes

french cut green beans

onion, garlic, soy sauce

Filling for lumpia:

Sauté onion and garlic in a small amount of oil.  Cook pork in oil with sauteed vegetables until no longer pink.  Stir in shrimp, sweet potatoes, and green beans.Cook until vegetables are tender.  Season to taste with soy sauce and cook until mixture is fairly dry

Place a small amount of the filling on each square and roll into packets. Seal edges of packets with a wet fingertip.

Fry in deep fryer until golden

........................................................................................................................

You are right that lumpia wrappers can be hard to find and even harder to prepare.  My usual substitute was a double sheet of phyllo cut into squares.  If you use phyllo, be sure to keep a moist dishtowel over the sheets you are not using.

It's really important that the filling be dry - especially if you use phyllo.  If not, the wrapper will fall apart in the the fryer.

I never tried freezing them, but I if I did, I would most likely freeze them cooked and reheat in an oven.

Please note that the amount of ingredients you use depends totally upon how many lumpia you are preparing.  I usually would use 1.5 pounds of pork, a frozen package of french cut green beans, 8 to 10 oz. of shrimp, two shredded sweet potatoes and a double handful of chopped onion and garlic.  That would make several dozen lumpia.

Honored Contributor

I've had those and they are great! I once had a recipe, but as I recall in eating them, it's all done in one package. Which to me makes the most sense since it's deep fried. Other foods are done that way too.

Honored Contributor

I just want to say thank you for everyone's responses on this thread.  You have been most helpful and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.  I have located a market not too far from me that sells the lumpia wrappers so I am excited to try these . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I just want to say thank you for everyone's responses on this thread.  You have been most helpful and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.  I have located a market not too far from me that sells the lumpia wrappers so I am excited to try these . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe,When is dinner?  May I bring a bottle of wine?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe,When is dinner?  May I bring a bottle of wine?

Well that would be greatly appreciated @ECBG, thank you for your kind and generous offer! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe, my dsil is Filipino and has made these for us many times. Great advice from everyone.  

May I be a taste tester?   I'll bring dessert. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@momtochloe, my dsil is Filipino and has made these for us many times. Great advice from everyone.  

Absolutely @dmod nj but in lieu of a dessert if you have an extra bottle of Rao's Proscuitto and Garlic laying around I would surely love that! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

Absolutely @dmod nj but in lieu of a dessert if you have an extra bottle of Rao's Proscuitto and Garlic laying around I would surely love that! . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe  you got it!!  Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.