Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Easter...how do you cook your asparagus???

Add a little olive oil to a warm skillet and sauté for a few minutes. it doesn't take long to cook. Add salt pepper and whatever else you like. Sometimes I add a little lemon or garlic.

Honored Contributor

I steam it with a little olive oil and fresh sea salt and pepper.

The crispy baked asparagus (post 31) sound delicious. I am going to try that.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

Roasting is nice, especially with a sprinkle of coarse salt and olive oil, but I love the taste of lightly steamed asparagus, that retains the fresh, grassy flavor.

One thing I do that you may not do, is peel it French-style. I cut off the dry end about an inch or two and then peel down half the stalk to the end, with a sharp paring knife or a paring tool.

Super Contributor

Alton Brown's recipe is so easy and comes out PERFECT every time. Ingredients 1/4 cup water 1 pound fresh asparagus, 1 to 1 1/2 inches cut off the bottom 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Directions Pour or spritz the water onto 4 paper towels. Spread out the paper towels and lay the asparagus on top of the dampened towels. Sprinkle with the salt. Roll up the asparagus in the dampened towels. Lay the bundle, seam side down, in the microwave. Microwave on high until the asparagus is just crisp tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave using tongs and carefully unwrap. Arrange on a serving platter and serve immediately. Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2010
Respected Contributor

I like to roast asparagus with just a little salt, pepper and olive oil. After I take it out of the oven I toss it with gremolata which is a condiment of lemon zest, very finely chopped parsley and garlic. I also add shredded parm cheese and toasted pine nuts or almond slivers. (It's a recipe I downloaded from Ina Garten except she used green beans that she blanched then sautéed in olive oil.) We enjoyed it on the asparagus and I plan to try it on other vegetables as well.

Respected Contributor

I either sauté in butter with sliced mushrooms or cream of asparagus soup.

I used to eat it raw all the time when I lived in an area where you could go pick it. It's good in salads. It's more of a luxury thing for me now.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 4/2/2015 brii said:

I always roast my asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. I love putting some shaved parmesan on top right before serving.

Ditto! My mother always steamed it and tossed with a little butter and seasoning, but I've been doing it the way you posted lately, and I swear hubby and I could each a pound each of it!! ESP with the fresh grated Parmesan on top. Omg, it is TDF.
Respected Contributor

On 4/2/2015 momtochloe said:

I love asparagus steamed and then sprinkle Penzy's Foxpoint seasoning over it but for a change up I like this:

Crispy Baked Asparagus:

Fresh asparagus

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup grated parmesan

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Dredge the asparagus in the flour, dip them in the egg and then into a mixture of the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper. Place the asparagus on a wire rack on a baking sheet bake in a preheated 425 oven until golden brown, about 7-13 minutes.
Oh, that looks good! I might have to try this some time!
Honored Contributor

I put a steamer in a 12" frying pan, and lay 'em out flat.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

When we don't put them on aluminum foil with a little olive oil on the gas grill. we use 1/4 c water on a microwave pie plate cover 4/5 of the top which leaves an area for steam and microwave 5-7 minutes. Then I pour off the water and season with butter and a little salt and pepper. Great with pesto tossed pasta and fresh grated Parmesan cheese! You could add some sauteed cherry tomato halves.