Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Easter...how do you cook your asparagus???

I like them plain with nothing on them. I put an inch of water in a fry pan with the asparagus. I bring to a boil, then take it off the heat and put the lid on for five minutes. I get the frozen ones at Trader Joe's. They are about the size of a pencil.
Honored Contributor

I love asparagus steamed and then sprinkle Penzy's Foxpoint seasoning over it but for a change up I like this:

Crispy Baked Asparagus:

Fresh asparagus

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup grated parmesan

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Dredge the asparagus in the flour, dip them in the egg and then into a mixture of the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper. Place the asparagus on a wire rack on a baking sheet bake in a preheated 425 oven until golden brown, about 7-13 minutes.
Respected Contributor

I bake mine whole. Put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on them and bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Even my husband eats them and he hates asparagus.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Occasional Contributor

On 4/2/2015 kittymomNC said:

I used to roast it, but I found I get the same flavor and it's much easier to cut it in bite-size pieces, put in a pan with olive oil and butter, sprinkle with a seasoning salt such as Morton Nature's Seasons (pepper, garlic, parsley, celery seed, onion flavor, spices), and saute until it's cooked but still slightly crisp and browned a little. Only takes about 10 minutes, and I love it this way. And I don't have to turn on the oven!

Occasional Contributor

Great suggestion! I have roasted mine in the oven (Ina Garten recipe) . Good but have to heat up the oven . Can't wait to try it this way!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I like it best stir fried in a little coconut or olive oil.

Regular Contributor

This Easter I am going to try Trisha Yearwood's asparagus bundles. It recieved many rave reviews. Asparagus Bundles 2 lbs. fresh asparagus bundles 12 slices bacon 1/2 cup light bown sugar 1 stick butter 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1/2 tsp. garlic salt 1/4 tsp. ground pepper Divide the asparagus spears into 12 bundles. Carefully wrap 1 piece bacon around each bundle starting about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the tips. Secure the bacon-wrapped spears with a toothpick. In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce , garlic salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the bundles. Bake until the spears have begun to wilt and the bacon looks fully cooked. About 25 minutes. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Trusted Contributor

A little olive oil, salt and pepper and grill them on the George Foreman.

Respected Contributor

Simple-

I do it on the Barbecue..wrap each stalk in bacon, spiral-like, sprinkle with a little brown sugar, refrigerate for at least 2 hours, then grill, the final product is so much better than the sum of its parts- something a little bit of brown sugar does to this is magical... These dissapear before i can even get them off the grill!!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks again Kitchenettes for all the wonderful ideas! I am going to print them out & try them all. I keep notebooks of recipes so these will go front & center in the ""Vegie"" one.

There were so many ideas I wouldn't have thought of - you are all the best!