Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Easter...how do you cook your asparagus???

I sometimes cut them into small discs and then eat it raw on top of salad or fold it in to a cooked pasta dish.

Trusted Contributor

Seems like great minds think alike!

This is what I posted to an Easter thread here yesterday:

I make roasted parmesan asparagus and it is really good. You can find recipes on Pinterest. Basically, wash and trim the asparagus (it will naturally break at the tough point). I spread a little olive oil on a jellyroll pan (what I call a cookie sheet--with sides). Line the asparagus out on the pan and drizzle with a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I am doing this from memory, but I believe I bake it at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, turn and then bake a few more minutes. They will start to turn a bit brown/caramelized. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. I have seen shredded parmesan used, too. These are really delicious. Even family members who do not like asparagus like them!

Gloria

Honored Contributor

Lots of wonderful ideas! Thanks to all!

I missed your post under the Easter threads Gloria...thanks for forwarding it here. I try to go back & re-check all the threads - I hate to miss anything! I had to laugh, I just realized I don't have cookie "sheets" anymore - I always use my jelly roll pans. As far as I know they are the same thing with sides but who knows right?

I'm so excited - my Penzy's order should arrive today. Maybe I'll try my FREE roasted garlic on the asparagus.

Honored Contributor

I like to roast the big fat spears. I think they hold up better.

If I am in a big hurry I cut the medium sized asparagus into pieces and put in a microwave safe container with a lid and microwave until tender with the only liquid being that water left from washing. Pour off liquid and put in serving dish with some butter and s&p.

I don't care for the pencil think spears. They do not hold up to roasting and have tendency to get mushy when cooked.

Honored Contributor

I don't like mushy asparagus either. I like it to have a little ""bite"" to it.

I also like to crumble bleu cheese on top.

Respected Contributor

Here is a wonderful recipe for asparagus. I make it often and even one of the guys who doesn't eat anything "green" chowed down.

Ingredients
2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
1 cup vegetable or olive oil, for frying
30 fresh medium sage leaves, patted dry
1 wedge (2 ounces) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Dressing:
Zest of 1 lemon, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Trim bottom of asparagus spears at point where they turn pale and tough. If spears are medium to thick, peel lower two thirds of the trimmed spears with sharp vegetable peeler. Thin spears needn't be peeled. Place them in a bowl, add chopped sage, olive oil and a light sprinkle of salt and toss lightly. Spread asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until the spears are slightly limp -- 4 to 8 minutes depending on their thickness. Remove from oven and let cool. Heat olive oil in a 1 1/2 to 2 quart saucepan to 330 degrees. Drop in half of the sage leaves and turn them in the oil with a wire skimmer or slotted spoon. Fry for only 10 to 15 seconds, do not let the leaves brown. Then remove them to paper towels to drain. Fry the remaining sage leaves and sprinkle them all lightly with salt. They should crisp when they cool. The sage can be fried up to 1 day ahead of time -- store in airtight container at room temperature. Shave the Parmigiano cheese into thin curls. For the dressing, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped sage, salt, pepper in a small mixing bowl, whisk in the oil. When ready to serve, toss asparagus with the dressing in a large bowl. Arrange the dressed asparagus on a serving platter, sprinkle with Parmigiano curls and with the fried sage leaves.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

On 4/2/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Lots of wonderful ideas! Thanks to all!

I missed your post under the Easter threads Gloria...thanks for forwarding it here. I try to go back & re-check all the threads - I hate to miss anything! I had to laugh, I just realized I don't have cookie "sheets" anymore - I always use my jelly roll pans. As far as I know they are the same thing with sides but who knows right?

I'm so excited - my Penzy's order should arrive today. Maybe I'll try my FREE roasted garlic on the asparagus.

You're welcome, ChiliPepper! Yes, all my life we have called them cookie sheets, too!

You will love the asparagus cooked this way! Good timing on the roasted garlic! That would taste delicious on the roasted asparagus. In fact, I forgot to mention above that I sometimes do sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on them. Roasted garlic would be better! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Gloria

Respected Contributor

I was going to tell you to go check Gloria's recipe on the other thread. It looks really good. I am glad she posted it here for you as well.

I think it is easier to roast it and not overcook it. Ina has a good recipe for roasting it on food network also.

I am buying some to make Gloria's recipe.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Gloria, I do remember having actual cookie "sheets" though - flat with no sides - just a lip on one end (I think) to grab them by.

Are they possibly thinner or anything to make the cookies crisp up or cook better? Mmmmmm...inquiring minds want to know!

Ok, asparagus to cookie sheets - stay focused Chili-girl LOL!

Honored Contributor

Thanks Doxie, I think there's gonna be a run on asparagus tonight!