Honored Contributor

Happy Easter...how do you cook your asparagus???

Hi Kitchenettes, I love asparagus but never seem to cook it at home much because I am the only one who likes it. I buy it frozen & just microwave it with salt & pepper but that is about it.

I decided to make fresh asparagus for myself anyway. All I hear lately is "roasting" asparagus.

Does anyone have a special recipe or method for asparagus they would like to share?

Thanks so much & Happy Easter!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy Easter...how do you cook your asparagus???

I either roast them with olive oil, or I steam them and eat them cold with a vinaigrette (the french way, I was taught to eat them.)

Respected Contributor

Lately I've been rinsing, then cutting off the bottom part of the stem. Then, I cut into 2" pieces and toss with some olive oil and seasoning/garlic salt. Then spread in a pan and roast at 400 degrees for about 15 mins. Yum!

Honored Contributor

I always roast my asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. I love putting some shaved parmesan on top right before serving.

Trusted Contributor

I roast mine just like suzzeecat posted. I usually season with just salt and pepper. The way I cook it is to cut it into about 2 inch pieces and saute in a little olive oile. Toss in some chopped garlic and season with salt and pepper. This is really good too tossed with angel hair pasta -- just add a bit more oil and garlic.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to roast it, but I found I get the same flavor and it's much easier to cut it in bite-size pieces, put in a pan with olive oil and butter, sprinkle with a seasoning salt such as Morton Nature's Seasons (pepper, garlic, parsley, celery seed, onion flavor, spices), and saute until it's cooked but still slightly crisp and browned a little. Only takes about 10 minutes, and I love it this way. And I don't have to turn on the oven!

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 brii said:

I always roast my asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. I love putting some shaved parmesan on top right before serving.

Hi Chili...me too...I'm with brii. That's exactly how I roast it. I like mine on the crunchy side..not mushy.

I use the Wegman's basting oil * it has some lovely herbs already in it!

Lately, tho...we have been smoking it...in the Masterbuilt Smoker...not igniting the end like a cigar! LOL

Honored Contributor

Oven roasted is the best way, IMO. Nothing fancy, just a little EVOO, salt & and a sprinkle of pepper.

Honored Contributor

Sounds great! You are all making me hungry! Asparagus for breakfast? Why not?!!!

About how long would you say you roast it & still have it crunchy cooked (I don't like mushy vegies)?

Thanks for all your replies!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/2/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Sounds great! You are all making me hungry! Asparagus for breakfast? Why not?!!!

About how long would you say you roast it & still have it crunchy cooked (I don't like mushy vegies)?

Thanks for all your replies! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Sure, for breakfast. Don't forget to put a soft egg over it!

I roast mine in the Breville toaster oven. Doesn't heat up the kitchen. I roast almost all veggies this way. Times can be "guessed" at; or tested for being done. Everyone seems to like veggies at different stages of doneness. Enjoy your asparagus. It is a favorite here.