Respected Contributor

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

@@Nomorebirthdays  Here's a recipe my neighbor shared with me years ago.  I've made it many times, but not lately.  Might be time to "dust it off" and make it soon.

1-1/2 pounds smoked ham

1/2 pound pork

Grind these two together if not already purchased ground.

1 c. bread crumbs

2 eggs

Mix and form into loaf shape.

SYRUP

1 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. vinegar

3/4 c. water

1-1/2 t. dry mustard

Boil syrup.  Pour over loaf.\

Bake 2 hours in 325 degree oven.

Baste occasionally with syrup while baking.

@Blk&GoldFan and @Nomorebirthdays, thank you for the recipe and the suggested protocol. I am newly inspired and am going to get my hands on some good smoked ham and give it a go.  Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

@Mz iMac, the OP's question made perfect sense.

She just wanted to combine fresh with cured pork.

@sabatini

The OP made no mention of "cured" pork.  You can purchase ham either way.  OP did not specify.  Pork is pork is pork, cured or not. Smiley Wink

@Mz iMac, the OP's initial post was this:

"Anyone make ham loaf?  I get it at butcher shop, wish I knew the ham to pork ratio."

It's more than obvious that @Nomorebirthdays is wondering about the ratio of cured and fresh pork for her recipe.

Perhaps you'd like to look up a few recipes for "ham loaf" as I did, @Mz iMac. Since I'd never heard of it, it piqued my interest.

You just might find that in the majority of recipes, both fresh ground pork as well as ground ham is used.

That's it from me.

LOL!  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Nomorebirthdays, my mother always used equal parts ham and pork. She did grind her own. Good Luck. I am anxious to hear how it turns out. I think I might like to try it. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@tiny 2. Thanks we have lots of fresh pork right now, and ham will be on sale due to Easter. I can get a butcher shop I'm bit annoyed with him. The brown sugar and cloves are key for my tastes. Probably has PA Dutch roots as are most of my family's cooking.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Thanks for posting the recipe. Brings back memories as my mother used to make ham balls basted in the same sauce. They were even good cold sliced on a sandwich. May look into making this close to Easter. Smells wonderful when it is cooking.
Super Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Anyone make ham loaf?  I get it at butcher shop, wish I knew the ham to pork ratio.

Hi Nomorebirthdays,

My grandma used to make this when I was a kid (60's & 70's), it was so good.  She used to get her ham and pork mix from the butcher because it was easier for him to grind it for her.

Here is her recipe.

HAM LOAF

1 Pound Ham and 2 Pounds Pork ground together

2 Eggs 

1 Cup Unsalted Cracker Crumbs

3/4 Cup Can Milk (Evaporated)

1 Can Tomato Soup

Mix meat, eggs, crumbs and milk - shape into loaf - pour soup over it and let stand for 20 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.

I can't remember if she put it in a loaf pan or just baked it on a cookie sheet, I do remember the top was slightly flattened.  Hope this helps in some way, even if only for the amounts.

tkins

Super Contributor

My mother made Ham Loaf with a meat mixture of ground beef, pork and ham.  She used a tomato sauce, and thought it was good.  When we moved to our current home I was introduced to a totally different variety of Ham Loaf, and in my humble opinion - it's soooooo much better.  I hope you will give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed!

HAM LOAF WITH PINEAPPLE

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 cup crushed pineapple, drained

1 1/2 lb. ground ham

1/2 lb. ground pork

1 cup dried bread crumbs

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup milk 

1/4 tsp. pepper

Spread mixture of brown sugar and pineapple over bottom of baking dish.  Mix remaining ingredients together and form into loaf in baking pan (or smaller, individual sized loaves).  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and `15 minutes.