• 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
  • Kosher salt and pepper

• 12 oz. sourdough bread, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
  • Gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • 4 oz. sliced ham, torn into 2-inch pieces
  • 3 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)

Directions

1. Step 1Heat oven to 350°F. Oil a 2 1/2-to-3 quart baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add bread and let sit, tossing occasionally, 5 minutes.
    2. Step 2Fold onion, apple, ham, and cheese into bread mixture. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and bake until set and knife inserted into center comes out clean (cover with foil if it browns too quickly), 45 to 50 minutes.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Yum, I have my eye on this recipe for a late NY day breakfast. It's simple to prepare, too.

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl   My husband loves to cook, he's been hankering for quiche lately so he made one for Saturday. It was GREAT!!!!  Couldn't wait until Sunday brunch for the rest of it. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Chi-town girl   My husband loves to cook, he's been hankering for quiche lately so he made one for Saturday. It was GREAT!!!!  Couldn't wait until Sunday brunch for the rest of it. 

I too love quiche and breakfast casseroles especially for holidays. Did he make the crust from scratch?

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl   He sure did - he always makes his own pie crusts regardless how he fills them. It was flaky and buttery.