Honored Contributor

HONEY BALSAMIC GLAZED CHICKEN WITH ARUGULA SALAD

[ Edited ]

I was invited to a friends house for dinner recently and she served this delicious easy chicken thigh recipe.  

1 T olive oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs
kosher salt
pepper

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 T low sodium soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced

Heat oven to 425.  Heat oil in a large oven proof skillet on medium.  Season chicken with 1/4 t each salt and pepper.  Place in heated skillet skin side down and cook until deep golden brown and crisp (7-8 minutes).  Turn chicken over and cook 1 minute more.  Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until cooked through (8-10 minutes depending on size).  Transfer to a plate.  Pour off all but 1 T of fat in skillet.  

While the chicken is cooking combine vinegar, honey and soy sauce in a small bowl.  When chicken is done add garlic to the skillet and cook on medium, stirring 1 minute.  Add vinegar mixture and simmer, stirring often, until reduced by nearly half and the consistency of maple syrup (6-8 minutes) Drizzle over chicken.  

This was served over an arugula salad which I was not that fond of but it made a beautiful presentation so I will include recipe below.

Salad:
2 T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1 t honey
1 t Dijon mustard
kosher salt
pepper
1 - 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup English cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
5 oz arugula (about 8 cups)

In a large bowl, whisk together oil, red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon, and 1/4 t each salt and pepper.  Add chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumber and toss to combine.  Fold in arugula.  Spread out on platter and top with the chicken thighs.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: HONEY BALSAMIC GLAZED CHICKEN WITH ARUGULA SALAD

@DiAnne, you're totally without a heart! It's supper time, this looks delicious and I'm starving. Seriously, I think I will make this sometime, thank you for posting. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

This looks like a tasty recipe.  I copied. Thanks for sharing. 

Trusted Contributor

This sounds so delicious!  I've recently started cooking with chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts and I really love them; they are so tasty and juicy...to me, they are much more flavorful than chicken breasts.

This will be on my menu for next week; thank you for posting! 

Valued Contributor

The glaze sounds fabulous and would go nicely on a side of roasted mixed vegetables.  I would use it on my vegan version of chicken too, sounds very tasty.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this recipe (and the many other yummy ones too) @DiAnne as I just bought a family size tray of chicken thighs and since it's just me I am looking for different glazes and flavorings for them.  Yum!

Respected Contributor

Sounds great.  The same stovetop-reduced glaze probably works well on pork, too.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnneI just made the chicken portion of this recipe and it is a winner/keeper!  Thanks again for posting it!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@DiAnneI just made the chicken portion of this recipe and it is a winner/keeper!  Thanks again for posting it!

@momtochloe

Glad you liked it and thanks for letting me know.  The salad portion was just OK but it made for a beautiful presentation platter if you ever want to impress company!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

I think I've saved more recipes from you than anyone! You post the best ones!! This is definitely my kind of eating! TY!!!