Trusted Contributor

HELP with oven baked ribs.....

Massive brain fart going on here.

Recipe is for bone-IN ribs (southern style) which bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours. 

I have bone-LESS ribs (southern style): do I still bake for 3 hours? 

Thank you!!!!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

Re: HELP with oven baked ribs.....

I cook them a little less if they’re boneless. The meat will fall apart when they’re done. I have found the bone-in have better taste though.

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum  Agree 100% bone-in taste better. Sadly, couldn't find the in 5 different stores. Bleh.

So, 2 hours instead of 3? What do you think?

Super Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee @That sounds good on the timing.   But you can always google boneless ribs and double check for the amount of pounds you have.   Lots of recipes will come up.

Honored Contributor

They may actually cook slower without the bone.  The bone heats up fast and transfers heat.  

I'd count on the regular time but stick in a remote read thermometer if you have one to keep tabs on them with an instant read thermometer.

Depends on how thick they are, temp when you start cooking them, etc.  GOOD luck and good eating!

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

According to all of my recipe books, boneless country style ribs should take about 2 hours.

Test them after 2 hours and see if they're 'fork tender' (put a fork into them, twist the fork and if the meat separates easily, they're done).

If not, check tenderness again in 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Massive brain fart going on here.

Recipe is for bone-IN ribs (southern style) which bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours. 

I have bone-LESS ribs (southern style): do I still bake for 3 hours? 

Thank you!!!!!

Pork is leaner these days than it used to be.

I was surprised myself to learn that there are newer internal cooking temperatures for it. 

It only needs to cook to 145 degrees instead of 165 degrees like most other meats, to be considered done.

It'll still be pink on the inside at 145 degrees.

If you like your pork less pink, you can still cook it until it reaches 165 degrees, but it might be a little bit tougher then.

When I make either bone-in or boneless pork ribs, I usually roast them in the oven for a little over an hour now. 

The way that I do this, you might see a little pink, but not much of it.

I'll start them out in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes. They'll get a bit browned this way, and it will seal in the juices a bit.

Then I'll turn the oven down to 325 degrees and let them slow roast for another 35-40 minutes. 

Then I'll take them out and let them rest a bit while i finish getting the side dishes together. 

I like to put barbecue sauce and seasonings on them first before I roast them, so I'll do that when they go in at 425 degrees, and then I'll put some more sauce on them again when I turn the oven down to 325 degrees. 

Trusted Contributor

Hey everyone!

So after pulling up a bunch of recipes online and then reading a few blogs, it appears that the time of cooking is the SAME for Country Style ribs be they bone-in or boneless. 300 degrees for 3 hours.

I did what I've always done and perfection. Funny how chicken doesn't work this way, lol. (the other white meat).

Thank you to all who responded! Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Hey everyone!

So after pulling up a bunch of recipes online and then reading a few blogs, it appears that the time of cooking is the SAME for Country Style ribs be they bone-in or boneless. 300 degrees for 3 hours.

I did what I've always done and perfection. Funny how chicken doesn't work this way, lol. (the other white meat).

Thank you to all who responded! Smiley Happy 

@FiddleDeeDee 

Glad you found the info you needed.

DH use to fill up the 12 qt Nesco with them for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner at work. They all loved it. Everyone would bring a homemade dish. They did BBQ since they had traditional dinners at home.