Trusted Contributor

Re: HELP, NO ROOM IN FREEZERS FOR LARGE TURKEY🤔

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@deb5555 wrote:

We put our frozen 25# turkey in a large cooler with ice and it thaws in a few days, we have been doing this with great success for over 5 years.

What a great idea. I just might use it. Thanks!

Do you leave the cooler outside? It is quite cold here. In fact they are predicting a snow storm Thursday night. It will take forever to defrost.

Inside right next to the frig.  We have a big coleman cooler. It saves so much room in the frig for all the fixins plus you don't get all the dampness from the turkey defrosting, its a win-win.

Occasional Contributor

You could order a fresh turkey.  That's what we do.  Pick it up a day or two before Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

If you want to do turkey breast for 12 people I would buy 2 turkey breasts at about 6 lbs each.

We always make a turkey breast. When we took it to the inlaws there was always at least 6 of us & we had plenty of leftovers but we also had ham.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all...great suggestions!!
Respected Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

We put our frozen 25# turkey in a large cooler with ice and it thaws in a few days, we have been doing this with great success for over 5 years.

@deb5555 I am not the OP, but I have limited space in my fridge.  That is a great idea.  I might have to try that this year! Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  If you decide to go with the cut-up turkey route.  Try Braising the turkey rather than roasting it.  The dark meat part goes in the oven first, then the breast later, so all parts are cooked evenly.

I have made this recipe several times, it makes the best turkey I have ever tasted.

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/braised-turkey-america-test-kitchen

Respected Contributor

Just came from grocery store...I got 2 boneless breasts,  a few legs.  The breasts are Butterball...comes with basting bags and directions.   Seems easy enough.   I'll give it whirl...never did this.  I always do the GIANT bird, traditional style.  Oh, everything fit in freezer😁

Thank you and have blessed Thanksgiving!!

New Contributor

This is too late for this year, perhaps next year for you. We live in WI, so in the winter months our freezer becomes an endless space as we use our deck to keep frozen food on. For our turkey, we put it in our cooler and put the cooler on our deck until it is time to defrost it. We then take the cooler inside, with the frozen turkey in it, leave the cover closed and allow the proper amount of thawing time for the size of the turkey. The frozen turkey keeps the cooler just the right temp for thawing. It works perfectly. But, remember to keep the cover on the cooler shut. After dinner, we put our leftovers in the cooler, and put the cooler back on the deck ~ if we don't want the food to freezer ~ we simply put the cooler in our garage!!