Super Contributor

Re: HAVE A GOOD SUBSTITUTION YOU CAN SHARE?

@Tinkrbl44 .Hope you like it. I forgot to say that the size and flavor of the dollop of jelly and  how much of it is blended into the oatmeal is, not to pun, a matter of taste. And thanks for all  of the great cat pictures!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never buy buttermilk.  I just put 1 tsp of vinegar in the amount of milk I need.

If I need a spice that is a blend (poultry seasoning), I make it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This may seem strange but I have used Chipotle (and other) Skinny Girl salad dressing as a dipping sauce with baked lightly breaded chicken that I bought from QVC. I plan to thicken it for future use -- soon as I figure out what would work best for thickening it. The flavor is great - if you like things just slightly spicy.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie I still make my mother's recipe for relish.  I absolutely love it in chicken salad sandwiches and lobster sandwiches.  It really picks up the sandwich.

Trusted Contributor

I have used a honey mustard salad dressing with sautéed chicken, adding a dab of sour cream off the heat so it doesn't curdle, as a 'sauce' in a pinch.

Respected Contributor

I make a lot of homemade hummus and I have found tahini, can be very bitter, so instead I use peanut butter, and gives the nuttiness without the bitterness! Love it! 

I substitute often because DH can't have a lot of produce. For example, I love onions and they are in just about every dish... But he can't tolerate them, so I use garlic or add either onion powder or concentrated onion stock ( Better than Bouillion) . Those he can handle- I have to constantly rework recipes... 🙄 Oh well!

Regular Contributor

Horseradish and ketchup mixed together in place of cocktail sauce for seafood.  This way I can use my sugar free ketchup.

Respected Contributor

I replace sour cream with plain Greek yogurt in recipes. Adds lots of protein. 

Honored Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

Horseradish and ketchup mixed together in place of cocktail sauce for seafood.  This way I can use my sugar free ketchup.

@retiredatlast 

Oh yeah ... that's a good one ....  thanks!

Another one is mixing a spoonful of pickle relish with mayo for tartar sauce.  Yum!

Trusted Contributor

Don't laugh and this is not rocket science but I use pasta water any time I am making a pasta dish. I've heard people say you shouldn't donate mac and cheese to food banks because people might not have milk or butter. I use pasta water. I don't drink nor ever buy milk so I use pasta water if I make basic box mac & cheese.