Honored Contributor

HAM, well, I'm hunting through cookbooks for left-over uses.

I've been remiss in looking this up in the past, since I'm not a big ham fan. This year to be more frugal, I'm hunting up leftovers.  I don't want to waste food.

How's your leftover plans coming along?  Will you have any this year?

BUT, if you have a family favorite where you've made a meal with ham, I'd be glad to see yours too.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: HAM, well, I'm hunting through cookbooks for left-over uses.

I always make two dishes with left over ham.  I save some for seasoning my New Year's Day black eyed peas (need all the good luck I can get)  but most goes into a big batch of Red Beans and Rice!  

Respected Contributor

You can make an omelet with ham and cheese or use the ham to seeason green beans.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I've been remiss in looking this up in the past, since I'm not a big ham fan. This year to be more frugal, I'm hunting up leftovers.  I don't want to waste food.

How's your leftover plans coming along?  Will you have any this year?

BUT, if you have a family favorite where you've made a meal with ham, I'd be glad to see yours too.

Thanks.

- repeat the original meal

- thick sliced, grilled & basted w/barbeque sauce
- sandwiches (or ham on a fresh baked biscuit)
- pan fried ham & eggs or ham & cheese omelets
- breakfast casserole
- a couple of pieces cooked with green beans
- split pea soup & ham
- diced and added to a tossed salad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not very interesting, so about all I do is the pot of split pea soup and the grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.  Or, a ham and swiss sandwich with mustard on whole grain bread.   Also love that.

I always make up several packets of slices that I vacuum seal and freeze.  They store super well, and I'm extremely food-picky!  I just used up one package that was from a year and a half ago.  It was like I had just made that ham.

I make the split pea soup in a pretty large LC pot.  Let it cool completely, then put different serving sizes into L&L, freeze, then I pop them out and vacuum seal - back in the freezer.  Good for ages.

I don't know what I'd do without vacuum sealers.  I'm just so picky about proper food storage.  Smiley Happy  Call me crazy - it's ok.

Honored Contributor

This isn't  a leftover tip, but I got my AARP magazine today, and there was a ham glaze recipe that sounded really good. You combine  4 T. Butter, 1 cup of brown sugar and 2t of cinnamon, and bring to a simmer. Cook till bubbling. Let cool , add 1/4 cup of rum, 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, zest and juice of one lemon and 4 0z. Canned crushed pineapple, blend. Use for basting.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm not very interesting, so about all I do is the pot of split pea soup and the grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.  Or, a ham and swiss sandwich with mustard on whole grain bread.   Also love that.

I always make up several packets of slices that I vacuum seal and freeze.  They store super well, and I'm extremely food-picky!  I just used up one package that was from a year and a half ago.  It was like I had just made that ham.

I make the split pea soup in a pretty large LC pot.  Let it cool completely, then put different serving sizes into L&L, freeze, then I pop them out and vacuum seal - back in the freezer.  Good for ages.

I don't know what I'd do without vacuum sealers.  I'm just so picky about proper food storage.  Smiley Happy  Call me crazy - it's ok.

@chickenbutt, Hey CB, what brand of vacuum sealer do you use? I bet that could be really handy! THis is the time of year of left overs too and when we just don't feel like cooking. Did you get it on the Q? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I have some Foodsaver brand and the one I've been using most lately is a LEM.    That brand costs quite a lot more, but I like it because it's almost entirely stainless steel and very strong.   I haven't had problems with my Foodsavers over about 20+ years, though.

The reason I ended up snagging that LEM was that, a few years ago, Amazon had it in Gold Box deals.  The regular price was always $499 but it was on for $249 and I couldn't resist.    

I have liked it VERY much, but it doesn't have a bag cutter and you also have to hold it down for a few seconds when you start it.  Seems like odd things for such an expensive machine, but it's still been worth it.

Honored Contributor

I chop the ham, freeze it, and use in omelets and to season pots of beans.   

Honored Contributor

My go-to recipe with leftover ham.....

HAM BALLS

1-1 1/2 lbs. ham (approximate)

3/4 lb. ground pork

3/4 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon pepper

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup white vinegar

Grind ham in food processor.  In large bowl combine all ingredients with the ground ham.  Shape into balls about the size of a baseball or little smaller.  Place on greased cookie sheet or pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Can be frozen and reheated.