Honored Contributor

I posted this recipe on the Recipe Game thread a while back. I'm planning to serve these at an upcoming luncheon, so I thought I'd try them today and post a critique.

Guacamole and Shrimp Wonton Cups

Ingredients:

• 24 wonton wrappers
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups guacamole
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

For the guacamole:

• 3 avocados
  • 4 teaspoons lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 24-cup mini muffin tin or coat with nonstick spray.
  2. Fit a wonton wrapper into each of the 24 muffin tins, pressing carefully to make sure there is an opening in the center.
  3. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
  4. While your wontons are baking, make the guacamole by combining the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. You can make the guacamole creamier by mixing more or chunkier by mixing less.
  5. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, garlic and cajun seasoning; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  6. Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add shrimp to grill and cook, flipping once, until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes on each side.
  7. Fill each wonton with 1 tablespoon guacamole and 1 shrimp.
  8. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

As you can see in the photo, I used jumbo shrimp.  They look pretty, but it required eating the shrimp separately from the guac cup.  When I make them for a party, I'm going to cut the shrimp into pieces so they will be easier to eat.  Otherwise, the flavors and texture were excellent. Both my son and I give this a 👍🏻

IMG_2091.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Yum! I'll have some!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Looks delish! A very festive app!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat , 

Your recipe looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it here. 

Have a wonderful day.

Honored Contributor

Opinions please.... will these wonton cups be equally suitable for sweet desserts, like strawberries and cream, for instance?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Maybe you could use a couple of smaller shrimp instead of cutting them up so it would be obvious what it was.

I think I'd try sprinkling the wonton wrappers lightly with sugar before heating them to use for a sweet dessert. 

Sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

Thank you!

Those are both excellent ideas!

~ house cat ~