Honored Contributor

Grilled cheese sandwich w/mayo

I don't know where I saw/heard - use mayo in place of butter when making grilled cheese.

Well .... today I tried it!  Really good.  Whote wheat bread, yellow American chese and some grilled sweet peppers (and olives on the side).

So much easierto spread the mayo vs. butter.

This is a definite keeper grilled cheese recipe. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Grilled cheese sandwich w/mayo

@ALRATIBA I use Miracle Whip, but yeah. Tasty & easy.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 

I probably would have used Miracle Whip if I had any. 

Gotta remember to get some on my next supermarket stop.

Thanks for mentioning that!

-----------------------------------------------

@Dusty1 wrote:

@ALRATIBA I use Miracle Whip, but yeah. Tasty & easy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I have to say my whole family is pro-mayo and anti-miracle whip!

I use Smart Balance on the outside of the bread, American cheese inside and grill.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't know where I saw/heard - use mayo in place of butter when making grilled cheese.

Well .... today I tried it!  Really good.  Whote wheat bread, yellow American chese and some grilled sweet peppers (and olives on the side).

So much easierto spread the mayo vs. butter.

This is a definite keeper grilled cheese recipe. 

@ALRATIBA I have never tried one with butter!  Always with mayo!  My husband wants his with grated cheese mixed with a little mayo and I'll say they are VERY good!  You might try it!

Honored Contributor

I'm a real butter girl and I adore and have several butter boats (extras for back-ups), which allows me to keep real butter at room temperature and easy to spread, without spoiling.

I discovered it here on QVC about 20 years ago and they disappeared, but they're back!

Best thing since sliced bread and buttah, LOL!

Trudeau Dual-Chamber Butter Boat - QVC.com

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom Butter, butter all the time!  Never mayo. I don't even have a jar of mayo in my home, because I never liked mayo on anything.  I would not use mayo to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, now I am craving a grilled cheese sandwich with all of the talk about them.

Honored Contributor

Interesting tip ... thanks.   

I didn't think American cheese was actually real cheese anymore.  Have you even read the label lately?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have done it before.  Once cooked can't tell the difference between it and real butter.

I'm still a butter girl and I have a marble butter bell I keep on the counter.  you can get them on Amazon.  @KingstonsMom 

The other night when making burgers I forgot that I had not re-filled my butter bell after vacation and smeared mayo on the buns before heating them in the Ninja Foodi.  Looks and tastes just like I did it with butter.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

Hey Tink!

I hear ya', 'processed' cheese slices are not 'real' cheese, IMO.

Too much oil, preservatives, etc.

I always buy the pre-sliced REAL cheese slices in my grocery stores (located with the fake cheese slices), they can slice it thin enough for sandwiches much better than I can!

Hope you and your daughters are doing well!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.