Respected Contributor

Re: Grilled cheese sandwich w/mayo

@ALRATIBA   I had never heard that before.  My next grilled cheese is going to be made with miracle whip instead of butter.  I like the American cheese OK but I prefer colby/jack.  We have recently started buying 4-State cheddar and I may also try grilled cheese with that.  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Well I have to say my whole family is pro-may and anti-miracle whip!

I use Smart Balance on the outside of the bread, American cheese inside and grill.

@Love my grandkids   Miracle Whip wouldn't work to brown the bread because its starch-based. Mayo is fat-based so it browns.  When I'm lazy, I just give the bread a little spritz of butter-flavored Pam.  It browns beautifully.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

First time I heard this was from Paula Deen

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I get it but I really like Smart Balance and love the way I can taste it even when the bread is grilled.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 - I have used MiracleWhip on the outside of the bread when making grilled cheese sandwiches and have had no problem with browning the bread. I use mayo on the outside sometimes and find it less greasy then butter.  Sometimes I put spice brown mustard or honey mustard on the inside of one slice when making grilled ham and cheese.  Gives it some zip!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I buy my cheese at the deli ... it's sliced to order.  American, Muenster and Provolone.... 1/2 lb of each every week!   

BTW - spread some pesto on the bread if using Provolone.  

--------------------------------------------------------

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Interesting tip ... thanks.   

I didn't think American cheese was actually real cheese anymore.  Have you even read the label lately?  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

The main difference I noticed between the mayo and the butter .... the bread got a bit crispier with the mayo vs. the butter.  

Whatever .... it's mayo for me from now on.  

---------------------------------

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have done it before.  Once cooked can't tell the difference between it and real butter.

I'm still a butter girl and I have a marble butter bell I keep on the counter.  you can get them on Amazon.  @KingstonsMom 

The other night when making burgers I forgot that I had not re-filled my butter bell after vacation and smeared mayo on the buns before heating them in the Ninja Foodi.  Looks and tastes just like I did it with butter.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Interesting tip ... thanks.   

I didn't think American cheese was actually real cheese anymore.  Have you even read the label lately?  

@Tinkrbl44 It was never "real" cheese.  And Velveeta?  Plastic.  Pure plastic as far as I am concerned.  But I would put a wrapped Kraft American slice on a sandwich.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I add sliced tomatoes and Italian seasoning...and BROIL mine open-face

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I do use Miracle Whip (The mayo of the Midwest!) & it browns just fine.