Contributor

I'm needing guidance on making the green bean casserole. Could I make it in the crockpot or does it have to be in the over?

Bird

Contributor

sorry, should have said OVEN

Bird

Respected Contributor

You don't have to bake it in the oven. Check out the slow cooker recipe at www.allrecipes.com.

Contributor

This is the one I make every year.  My husband likes the french cut green beans in it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/18379/best-green-bean-casserole/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringC...

Ingredients

• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans green beans, drained
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

• 1 (6 ounce) can French fried onions
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place green beans and soup in a large microwave-safe bowl. Mix well and heat in the microwave on HIGH until warm (3 to 5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and heat mixture for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer green bean mixture to a casserole dish and sprinkle with French fried onions and remaining cheese.
  3. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven until the cheese melts and the onions just begin to brown.
Contributor

Thank you, very the help on the green bean casserole. I've never made it before and with the turkey and other items in the oven I was wanting to use the crockpot.

lbird

Honored Contributor

I have only eaten that food once in my 63 years and it was awful--not a fan of any recipe using canned soup--just a thing for me. I cook my green beans in a pressure cooker for 2 minutes and they come out INCREDIBLE. Then I dress them up. They come out such a pretty green and not rubbery or crunchy. Sometimes I cool them and serve them on a veggie platter. Amazing! 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I have only eaten that food once in my 63 years and it was awful--not a fan of any recipe using canned soup--just a thing for me. I cook my green beans in a pressure cooker for 2 minutes and they come out INCREDIBLE. Then I dress them up. They come out such a pretty green and not rubbery or crunchy. Sometimes I cool them and serve them on a veggie platter. Amazing! 

I got ya beat @wagirl - I've never had it and I'm the same age!

Valued Contributor

Re: Green bean casserole

[ Edited ]

A million years ago, Cooking Light had an issue that when I saw the cover I said THAT is my meal!  And we had it for Christmas that year.  One of the recipes was a lightened version of a green bean casserole using sour cream and shallots to replicate the flavors.  It was a big hit.  I just googled and the link below should take you to the recipe.  Hope this is an allowable link!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/holiday-green-beans