Respected Contributor

Greek Custard Pie Recipe Easy, Decadent & Delicious........Enjoy!

[ Edited ]

Here is a delicious quick very tasty Greek Dessert, and I hope my QVC Pals really enjoy it.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/cakes/r/Custard-Pie-Galatopita.htm

• Greek Custard Pie without Phyllo Easy Peasy.

• Creamy semolina custard is baked until golden then bathed in sweet syrup. An easy custard pie that doesn’t require a pie crust, pie shell, or phyllo sheets.

• Prep Time: 20 minutes
• Cook Time: 40 minutes
• Total Time: 60 minutes
• Yield: About 24 pieces

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, 4 oz.
4 cups milk
1/2 cup semolina (you can substitute Farina)
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract

For the syrup:
1-cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Optional Topping:
For the topping over the sugar syrup:
can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and then serve but it

has to be room temp, or cold from the refrigerator.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9 X 12 inch baking dish. (I use a glass baker.)
In a large saucepan heat the milk with the butter until just boiling. Add the sugar and the semolina and continue cooking until the mixture thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Stir in the beaten eggs and the vanilla extract.

Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven.
Set a timer for 30 minutes.
While the custard is baking prepare the syrup.

Syrup Preparation:
Boil the water and stir in the sugar.
Simmer uncovered for approximately 10 minutes.
Pour the syrup over the custard and bake an additional 10 minutes.

Cool the custard slightly before serving, or bring to room temp, or refrigerate.

If room temp or from refrigerator can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and serve.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Greek Custard Pie Recipe East and Elegantly Delicious........Enjoy!

I love Custard Pie. Thanks for sharing adoreqvc.

Respected Contributor

Re: Greek Custard Pie Recipe East and Elegantly Delicious........Enjoy!

You're very welcome kitty4me, and I am planning on making this mid week to take to a friend.

I love serving it straight from the refrigerator so if taking to someone I refrigerate it overnight, then when I arrive they have the option to sprinkle some powdered sugar on the top or not.

If you know Greek Desserts this tastes just like Greek Galatobureko and has the same type custard filling, but without the filo sheets on the top and bottom.

I hope you also enjoy itSmiley Happy.

Regular Contributor

Re: Greek Custard Pie Recipe Easy, Decadent & Delicious........Enjoy!

Adore, thank you for posting this recipe & the link for the Greek recipes last week. I meant to post last week, but life has been hectic & my computer time has been limited. I will definitely give this a try, since Galaktoboureco is one of our favorites
Respected Contributor

Re: Greek Custard Pie Recipe Easy, Decadent & Delicious........Enjoy!

[ Edited ]

I understand life makes us quite busy KathT.

Replying when convenient is always acceptable, and for your updated reply, I humbly thank you!

Also I hope you enjoy preparing and eating all the Greek recipes you love, including the ones I furnish here on the QVC forums Recipes web site.